• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jumpseating to Australia...need info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just go on united from sfo or lax. you can buy your electronic visa at ticketing for $25 if you are not an australian citizen. Atlas / polar is another option, you'll have to arange the visa through the australian embassy in DC or your nearest city, that could take up to a couple weeks. If you go on united both the lax and sfo a/c stop in SYD and one continues to Melbourne(not sure which one) this could be a problem or more of a hassle jumpseating as you don't won't to get stuck in the transet lounge. As far as taxes, on your return trip they will hit you with taxes. About $75usd.

halfmoon said:
Just go on united from sfo or lax. you can buy your electronic visa at ticketing for $25 if you are not an australian citizen. Atlas / polar is another option, you'll have to arange the visa through the australian embassy in DC or your nearest city, that could take up to a couple weeks. If you go on united both the lax and sfo a/c stop in SYD and one continues to Melbourne(not sure which one) this could be a problem or more of a hassle jumpseating as you don't won't to get stuck in the transet lounge. As far as taxes, on your return trip they will hit you with taxes. About $75usd.
Don't pay for your visa/ETA (Electronic Travel Authority). Simply call United's 1-800 number for reservations, select "international" from the phone tree, and tell the agent that you are planning a trip to Australia on United in the future (don't need a reservation when you call), and that you would like help with the ETA. Have your passport ready, because they will ask a few questions. The agent will type the info into the computer, and 30 seconds later, it will come back with ETA approval (or disapproval). That's it. Doesn't cost anything. The other airlines probably can do the same. ETA good for one year, 3 months stay at a time.

Here is a more complete route system for Polar. I wish Atlas would provide their schedules online.
http://www.polaraircargo.com/10/10.pdf

I took Polar to SYD, it was great. Great crews, let me sleep on a bunk from HNL to SYD, also had 4 business class seats to myself, enough food to last a week, and sat up front for the great view of Sydney Harbour on the way in.

Also remember that United only takes 2 jumpseaters, even if there are 100 open seats.

Chase, talk to Scott Robertson (SWA PHX CA) he goes to Australia 3-4 times a year. He has a high rise condo on the beach, he might even rent out to you.

To all,

thanks for the intel...any other insights on New Zealand would be great...again the folks on this board never cease to amaze me....I've got a much better picture of where to go & enjoy our trip...will catch on the PMs & respond....cheers & 'gooday mate'

Chase:

The above posters seem to have the jumpseat info covered. Once in Melbourne I'd look to stay downtown near the river if possible. We overnight at Le Meridien Rialto, which is a nice hotel in a good location for both. Other options that might give crew discounts are the Sheraton Towers and Travelodge Southbank. Some of the trips I've done there while on overnights include the Great Ocean Road, which I highly recommend. I did it as a tour, but you could rent a car and do it yourself. The Yarra Valley winery region is another good trip, but better not to rent a car for that one :D . I've yet to get further up into the mountains or down to see the penguins, but that might be worth doing. Downtown is nice, lots of good restaurants in the Southbank area near the river.

You'd do well to buy the Lonely Planet guide to Melbourne/Australia as well as New Zealand. They have all the good info on how to get around and what to do. In 1995 I did a big trip around the world and spent one week in New Zealand and three weeks in Australia. If I had to do it over again I would change it to two and two. There is a lot to do in New Zealand, especially on the South Island. One week was not enough time.

Have fun,

TP

Just got back from getting married in Canbera, yes to an Ausie, jumpseating was easy on United just make sure that there are more than 50 open seats because they will usually pack on extra fuel and cargo.

I took 2 bags of goodies one I gave to the head purser and the other to the captain. When I got on the plane I asked for the head purser to intorduce myself and then went up and gave the other to the flight deck. By the time I walked back down the stairs I went from row 56 up to row 8 in business class. I did the same thing on the way back and same treatment.

As far as getting around I would use public transport. It is easy and much safer there than here in the states. I bought a 5 dollar ticket that was good all day long in both Canbera and Sydney, the one in Sydney was also good on the water ferries. When you get on the bus just ask the driver if this is the best one for where you want to go and he will help you out on times and routes and buses to take.

Hope this helps

Just got back from getting married in Canbera, yes to an Ausie, jumpseating was easy on United just make sure that there are more than 50 open seats because they will usually pack on extra fuel and cargo.

I took 2 bags of goodies one I gave to the head purser and the other to the captain. When I got on the plane I asked for the head purser to intorduce myself and then went up and gave the other to the flight deck. By the time I walked back down the stairs I went from row 56 up to row 8 in business class. I did the same thing on the way back and same treatment.

As far as getting around I would use public transport. It is easy and much safer there than here in the states. I bought a 5 dollar ticket that was good all day long in both Canbera and Sydney, the one in Sydney was also good on the water ferries. When you get on the bus just ask the driver if this is the best one for where you want to go and he will help you out on times and routes and buses to take.

Hope this helps

Fellow Flightinfoers,

Thanks so much for the intel...it has certainly started me thinking about things I hadn't before now......the misses & I are looking forward to trip...keep the suggestions coming or send a PM, thanks again to all,forever in your debt.

Latest resources

Back