• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

jumpseating on nw/dl

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You are more than welcome to walk next time if you find the process so frustrating. I have seen THOUSANDS of pilots jumpseat on NWA with no problem.

Hey, the initial post was about the process of obtaining a jumpseat. If it was as easy as going up to the counter then I would have not shared my experiences. All I tried to share was that unfortunately some gate agents seem to think that the process is the same for every pilot, working for NW or being an off-line jumpseater. I believe I did say that in the end it always works out after jumping through the gate agent's hoops. I'm sure everyone has great gate agent stories, there just seems to be a pattern when I try to jump on NW. In the end I am always grateful to get a ride just like the NW guys that ride with us...and if walking was ever an option, I would. No TSA, no getting bumped and no fuss. In most cases that option is just not that feasible.

NW has always been great to me. They were my bread and butter commute airline for quite a while. There have been a few times their agents got me on by doing some magic they wouldn't want their bosses to know about. If you're heading up to a smaller market in northern MN, odds are you'll be going to a Mesaba station. Same policy as NW, and equally accomodating.

I've jumped them numerous times from DEN-MSP and back and have yet to have any issues at all. In fact, they are hassle free 99% of the time. I've gotten first class on them numerous times.

>> If you end up on a weight limited Saab ask the CA to run the numbers thu the PDA. <<

I always used to tell the Capt I weighed 1 pound! I always got a laugh outa that one!

And sometimes it got the Capt thinking and being a little more creative with his numbers!

I'm trying to jumpseat up to Canada from MSP on NW/DL this weekend, any suggestions or is pretty straight forward just like the US? I'm also looking to check a couple bags, will this be a problem for an off-line guy?

Last edited:
they're pretty straight forward. i call the nwa reservation number and they will list you. checking bags, not so sure

oh not to mention nwa pilots the number of times i've jumped msp to canada and to nyc, what a great bunch of guys. everyone is bound to have an issue with a gate agent that may be having an off-day or just new and overwhelmed. Even AA isn't so bad, you just need to be polite and not be a jerk. Even if they're being nasty to you, be polite and it goes a long way.

If you have to sit up front make sure you talk ( crazy talk ) I was J/S ing on NWA years ago and the FO asked me how do I like SWA then asked me what AC I am on. When I replied that I am on the DC-9 just like they are flying , they both immediately turned around with a frantic look that still sticks with me. It is still one of my favorite story to tell. :)

That reminds me of a good story...

I was jumpseating on a UAL 727 and the crew was Denver based and it was a few months before Y2K. They were the nicest guys, but NUTS!!!

They all had a "plan B" in case the Y2K thing went bad. They described stories about how all their kids have secret backroad maps so they can get to their mountain lairs in the hills when chaos erupts. One guy told stories about how every time for 3 months he was at the costco, he picked up 3 pallets of water (PALLETS!). The Engineer was telling a story about how he has set up a hydroponic food system that is immune to radiation. Another story was about how the gun shop KEEPS RUNNING OUT of 50 Cal. ammo?!?!?!?

I thought it was a joke, but as the flight progressed, they were dead serious nutjobs!!

Latest resources

Back