• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jumpseating Internationally

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ok, I'm in London now. Not quite the way I planned it. I went to the United desk and asked to 'OMC' over to London. The lady proceeded to tap away at her computer when she said the system isn't letting her go any further. She then called operations. Operations told her that ONLY United crew can 'OMC'. Is that true?? I ended up just non-reving. I didn't know if I was going to get knocked back if I went to AA or Delta, so thought I'd play it safe by non-reving. Can anyone tell me if there is any truth in this? Thanks.

the agent got confused and thought you wanted to ride in the cockpit. in that sense she is correct. sometimes they dont know that you can jumpseat and ride in the back. i have had to explain it to an agent on at least one occasion.

So, should I just ask to OMC, but let them know that I want to ride in the back?? I tried to explain that to the gate agent but he didn't know what to do. Is there any straight way - standard procedure to get though? I'm so frustrated with this. I just found out that I was charged $198 for my one way flight from London - New York about 2 weeks ago!! I probably could have bought the ticket for that price on Expedia! Can't believe non-reving costs the same as buying off the net!

I'm not looking forward to the bill I'm going to get for this flight I just took from NY - London today.

Last edited:
you just have to stick to your guns and explain that you can use the OMC form to travel, you just need to have an open seat in the back. if he doesnt know what to do, you'll need him to ask a co-worker or better yet a supervisor. if that doesnt work, ask for the agent and supervisor's name and employee number (dont be rude about it) and pass the info to your JS coordinator when you get back so they can fix their mis-understanding (happened to me with UAL in japan a while back.. forgot about that one).

other options are to try a different counter/agent or airline.

you should also try getting intouch directly with your JS coordinator.

The cost for JFK-LHR is about 90 for first, 70 for biz and 45 for coach. The prices from europe to the us are higher because of all the taxes. THere is a 100 dollar tax for the international city according to the fare info on weblist for the return. And that 198 for LHR-JFK was first class wasnt it? Not a bad deal if you ask me. You can OMC, I have done many times from other countries. Just ask for the supervisor, what I will often do is go the first class check in line, the agents that work those lines seem to have a better idea of things. If there is a nonrev line you can use that as well. Just make it clear that you just need the card and you need an open seat. If you can get to the gate as the crew is coming on the plane you can check with them also, they will often help sort things out with the agent.

Perfect - have come to find out that jumpseating with MaxJet (from London Stansted - JFK/IAD) is gratis, only taxes have to be paid (have been told that is £37, around $75). The other way around from JFK/IAD to London Stansted is totally free so I'm told - though will report back and let you know if this is true when it happens.

Latest resources

Back