Jumpseating Internationally

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Smash312

I work for a United feeder regional airline (under the United Express brand) - I want to get from JFK over the pond to the UK (LHR). Now I know you can list yourself before you flyon expressnet.ual.com. But if I know the loads are very low, then do I HAVE to list myself or can I just turn up to the check in desk and ask to jumpseat across??

I've never done this before so am wondering how to go about doing this. Can someone please shed some light?

If you list yourself via expressnet you will be listing using nonrev. Those cost money (got nailed for $300 once because I didn't know this) so I don't recommend it. You have to list at the gate, but be there nice and early (at least an hour). Be sure to ask for the OAL ticket since otherwise you might accidentally nonrev instead of jumpseat. Have fun in London!

Edit: Mynameisjim is right. Just list using expressnet but when you get to the gate make sure you get the OAL form and specify you are not nonrevving but are jumpseating, that way you don't get charged to nonrev.

Last edited:
The airlines have to provide the TSA with a passenger list 90 minutes prior to departure, so if you aren't listed (nonrev or jumpseat, it doesn't matter) at least 90 minutes prior you won't get on.

Thanks for that advise! Really! Just need to know another thing - is it possible to just jumpseat on AA/Delta or another US Cass carrier out to Europe in the same way?? Just turn up to the ticket desk and ask to Jumpseat? I'm from Europe and well, with family there can get expensive getting back and forth. But, Am wondering that if getting out there can be done 'Gratis' I know jumpseating back is a no-no as they don't have CASS in Europe. So I'd list and come back via normal non-rev channels. But going out there it'd be nice to head out by just jumpseating.

Jumpseating out is easy on any carrier, but you're right jumpseating home is near impossible. They don't know what jumpseating is.

I would jumpseat there, but ZED back. at $300 for United, you can standby on any other carrier cheaper then that.

Just remember, you can't actually occupy the jumpseat internationally. You still call it jumpseating, but you have to have a seat in the cabin.

Jumpseating out is easy on any carrier, but you're right jumpseating home is near impossible. They don't know what jumpseating is.

sorry, but this statement is wrong. if you have someone that might not know what you're talking about, try using the carriers term for it (UAL is "OMC"), if that doesnt work, ask for a supervisor. i have had absolutely no problems jumpseating out of several countries. they all knew what jumpseating was and knew exactly what to do.

only once out of germany on UAL did they not know what "jumpseat" was. then i told them i wanted to "OMC on the flight" and they said "ok" and it was done. thailand, japan and australia all know what jumpseating is.

as for listing.. if you're afraid you're gonna get hit for the tab if you list thru your own carrier, then just call UAL's res line and tell them you want to list as a non-rev.

Ok, so as I understand it, I'm not going to bother listing myself. With that I think I run the risk of being hit with fees. I've checked the load and they seem fine, so I'll rack up to the check in desk and ask any carrier (in my case American or United) to Jumpseat (or if they don't understand I'll use the term 'OMC') me for the flight to London - politely.

On my return, I'm going to go though the same procedure out of London Heathrow. Correct??

Thanks for the help.

How can I find out the timetable for Cargo aircraft?? I mean, what means do they have to verify my credentials when out of the US? I've heard this before also, and I'd try this in a heart beat - but want to feel confident that I'll get on.

How can I find out the timetable for Cargo aircraft?? I mean, what means do they have to verify my credentials when out of the US? I've heard this before also, and I'd try this in a heart beat - but want to feel confident that I'll get on.

Go to Atlas Air or Gemini Air Cargo's web sites. It will give you contact information, procedures, ect.

Latest resources

Back