• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

jumpseating in Camo's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I always thought jumpseating was at least business casual. Are BDUs business casual?

Do you not have time to change clothes before/after your jumpseat?

Every legal pilot gets to jump in my jumpseat.

Hell, I once took a Cactus guy in flip flops, shorts, and a Hawaiian shirt.

If I'll take a clueless dork like that, you can be sure I'll take a hard charging military type.

That is funny. I used to take anyone as well. I took a jB guy one time that was wearing jeans and a t-shirt. As he went to the back of the plane, my FO and I just shook our head, but he did get the ride. My favorite was over 10 years ago, we had a UAL FA that was traveling on a pass. At the last minute they had to pull her off the plane for a paying pax. She came up to the cockpit and asked me (now she is wearing a workout out fit) "if I put a dress on, can I ride up front in the jumpseat?". We were ready to go, I told her "not to worry, and just go as you are." I took her up front in the jumpseat. After that time, I happened to jumpseat on 3 planes that she was working, and she always put me in First Class. It pays to be nice.

The only person that can ask you to jumpseat is yourself. The jumpseat is a priviledge and at many times a negotiated union benefit. The jumpseat is for personal use... so use it!

However, the jumpseat is because of your airline status, not your MIL status. So when functioning as "Other Member Crew" as UAL calls it..it is best to look like a pilot or someone from the training center.

If BDU's are ok then why not flightsuits? Where is the line?

Protect the jumpseat. Don't take it for granted.... we can't afford to lose this priviledge...

Sometimes travelling in military uniform can be tough. One of our fine young Marines was travelling from Iraq to the US in uniform, with his military ID, and his leave orders in hand. This man had seen combat. On his way through security the TSA detected explosive residue on his boots. Now what do you suppose happened? Common sense? Of course not. This valiant young man was placed on the F'ing NO FLY LIST. His Congressman had to get involved. So be careful. Thousands Standing Around is operated and managed by a bunch of retards.

I would probably laugh at you for wearing your BDU's/Cammies on the J/S unless you missed morning formation and plan to go directly to the drill center when we arrived. Nothing screams, "Boot!" more than that.

In the Marines and if your off base it's civys or class Charlies or better unless you are on duty or going directly to/from base or Iraq. I've seen a fellow Marine get a page 11 and demoted for getting caught eating in at McDonald's off base in his cammies.

Only the Army and the Airforce are heinous enough to wear their BDU's as they loaf around the grocery stores, McDonalds, etc.

You're a total dork if you J/S in military uniform unless you are in the extreme circumstance mentioned above.

That being said, you'll be welcome on my J/S anytime, just be prepared to get an earful. Thanks for even considering doing what so many people take for granted nowadays.

Last edited:
If I was commuting to drill(im not in the guard/reserves yet) and wanted to wear my BDU's and ride the jumpseat so be it. If somebody made fun of me for wearing them, I would politely tell them to Go F themselves and get off the plane. What is the difference between a mil uniform and a pilot uniform? I think BDU's look better than the crap we wear. If a guy wants to wear a flight suit while hes commuting to drill, thats his right, he has earned it.

Just remember, the gate agent has the first say.... and sometimes it's hard to get past that first no...... you might not see the captain to ask him. They can be really....ummm, challenging to deal with at times. I personally wouldn't jump in my BDU's OR a bag, but I guess that's just me. It takes two minutes to change, and you'll have an overnight bag with you anyways. Good Luck!

I always thought jumpseating was at least business casual. Are BDUs business casual?

Do you not have time to change clothes before/after your jumpseat?

Business casual IS the rule... and no, BDUs are not business casual. Some pilots wouldn't have a problem. However, YOUR problem would be the gate agents who may. Play it safe and take the five minutes to change into khakis and a golf shirt!

Latest resources

Back