Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

blackbox

hey guys,

I have been looking at joining the guard (non-flying position). The unit i would join is a good ways away from my home. So thought of jumpseating on a flight to get to and from drill weekends. First off, is that legit? and secondly would it be unprofessional to j/s in my BDUs?

thanks

I have the same question. I am in the Guard and just got a 121 job that will take me away from my unit and jumpseating is the only practical way to get there. Anybody currently doing this?

As far as it being legit, I say yes it totally is. Many jumpseaters I have had are doing just that, and if I were you I wouldn't worry about it at all. On your second point, I personally have no problem whatsoever with you wearing BDU's while jumpseating and really don't think it would be an issue except for the one in a million chance you run into a total prick. I do have a question totally unrelated to jumpseating. A few years ago it seemed that most military folks I ran into in airports or the grocery store for that matter, were wearing Class A or B, just curious as to the change or new policy. Either way thank for your service and God bless.

They were probably pencil pushers or recruiters. If you go to a nice resteraunt or bar you are supposed to wear class A or B's but BDUs are OK at grocery store or McDonald's.

As far as it being legit, I say yes it totally is. Many jumpseaters I have had are doing just that, and if I were you I wouldn't worry about it at all. On your second point, I personally have no problem whatsoever with you wearing BDU's while jumpseating and really don't think it would be an issue except for the one in a million chance you run into a total prick. I do have a question totally unrelated to jumpseating. A few years ago it seemed that most military folks I ran into in airports or the grocery store for that matter, were wearing Class A or B, just curious as to the change or new policy. Either way thank for your service and God bless.

When I was in the Air Force we were required by regulation to wear "blues" when traveling on commercial transportation. This was ten years ago though. I see a lot of guys in BDU's now, mainly Army but even some blue suiters coming back from deployment to "the real world" from S.W. Asia. Who's going to pack a dress uniform to Iraq/Afghanistan? :)

I have been in the Guard 13 years now (non-flying position) and commuted to my previous unit. It's ok to jumpseat for that reason, however, why where your BDU's. I jumpseated to a hurricane and wore civilian clothes.

I would have a hard time believing anyone would have an issue with you jumpseating to your military duty. Many in this industry have military background, and most of us who do not recognize and appreciate your service to the country (and ultimately each one of us). So I'd say yes, go ahead and do it and be proud to say you are heading to drill when talking to the crew. As far as BDUs, I don't know that would go over, but personally I wouldn't want to be the one to deny an airline crew member who is jumpseating in military clothing. Perhaps if you have a more formal military uniform to wear.

I have been in the Guard 13 years now (non-flying position) and commuted to my previous unit. It's ok to jumpseat for that reason, however, why where your BDU's. I jumpseated to a hurricane and wore civilian clothes.

thanks everyone for your replies. I'ld be in my BDUs because once drill ends on sunday, I would head straight to the airport to commute home.

Latest resources

Back