Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Partridge

Humble apologies if this has been asked before, but here we go:

Are there any carriers that accept jumpseat requests from pilots who work for overseas airlines? I fly for a well established European airline (121 equivalent) and often find myself in the US. It would be very nice if I could occasionally use the jumpseat.

Back in the days that I still flew in the states myself (mid 90's) several airlines had open jumpseat policies, ie not related to a reciprocal deal. Is this still the case with some companies (United was one of them)?

Is there anything is the regs that specifically prohibits carriage of non-US aircrew? It would be nice to hear from anybody who has got experience with this situation, either as jumpseater or as crew who has been asked to take a non-US airline employee on the jumpseat.

Some carriers may allow you to ride free in the passenger cabin, but since 9/11, the U.S. has developed a system called "CASS", which is an interactive database that lists all pilots at lparticipating U.S. carriers, verifying that each person is able to physically ride in the cockpit jumpseat.

It wasn't even until just about 9 or 10 months ago that U.S. pilots were allowed to ride the jumpseat again on offline carriers.

I don't think there are any non-U.S. carriers on CASS, and I kind of doubt that there ever will be.

LAXSaabdude.

Partridge said:
Humble apologies if this has been asked before, but here we go:

Are there any carriers that accept jumpseat requests from pilots who work for overseas airlines? I fly for a well established European airline (121 equivalent) and often find myself in the US. It would be very nice if I could occasionally use the jumpseat.

Back in the days that I still flew in the states myself (mid 90's) several airlines had open jumpseat policies, ie not related to a reciprocal deal. Is this still the case with some companies (United was one of them)?

Is there anything is the regs that specifically prohibits carriage of non-US aircrew? It would be nice to hear from anybody who has got experience with this situation, either as jumpseater or as crew who has been asked to take a non-US airline employee on the jumpseat.

You will have a very hard time finding a US carrier that wil let you jumpseat. The main reason is European airlines will not allow US pilots to jumpseat. If you can find a crewt hat will let you on, it will be a seat in the back. Good luck getting past the gate agent.

Thanks everyone for their replies. I kinda figured as much but I thought I'd verify.

Regarding the fact that European carriers don't allow American pilots on the jumpseat, that is absolutely true. What's more, they don't approve their own pilots either, even if you're working for the same company. Needles to say, this sucks!

Thank god for the low cost carriers, eh?

Latest resources

Back