Jumpseat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SDdriver

Can anyone give me any idea of when offliners can expect to be able to ride in the actual jumpseat again?
I sit everyday hoping there is progress being made in this area. Mainly because it is very difficult to j/s because loads are really high on the carriers that I j/s with. I wish you all were getting the old ticket prices also, but hey I guess a full plane is always better than an empty one.
I try to keep up with current events as far as opening the J/s back to offliners, but this board is about all I have. Any opinions or fact would be appreciated.
Fortunantly our J/S satyed open to offliners and I am always happy to help someone get home or to work.

Thanks for any help..

SD

Rode the jumpseat (cabin) on an Eagle SAAB the other day the CA told me that it's not a federal issue on allowing offliners to j/s it's the company. If that's the case then it most surely...sucks. Hopefully it will change again. I hate 2 leg commutes.

Rook

600' AGL Autopilot on
'WHEW!'

Hmm..Can anyone clarify if it is a company issue or if it is still FAA?

I always thought it was FAA mandated.

SD

Offline J/S is a Federal issue. The largest hurdle is still the positive identification of authorized flightcrew members. Progress is being made. You now have some carriers/codeshares with the cockpit seat available through their carriers approved means of positive identfication and employment status. The technology is out there but the costs associated wth implementation and management are still at issue. Everyone should thank the Jumpseat Task Force for the effort they have put forth to get our rides back.

It is going to be a while before we see it restored as we all knew it it the old days.

Thanks to ALPA, FedEX, IPA, SWAPA and all the independent carriers jumpseat reps for their tireless effort in getting our jumpseats returned. It is greatly appreciated by this CRUSTY OLD Bast_ _ _!

Crusty

From ALPA

This was dated Aug 21.

ALPA National Jumpseat Update

By Capt. Bill Dickey (Aloha), ALPA's Jumpseat Committee Chairman

"This has been a very frustrating summer for ALPA members who commute off line.
Airplanes full of passengers push back with empty cockpit jumpseats while we
scramble to find another flight with room in the cabin for a jumpseating pilot.
Some of our members are contacting ALPA's president, Capt. Duane Woerth, telling
him to fix the problem. If ALPA were running the government, we would have no
problems.

One problem we have had is dealing with the Transportation Security
Administration. We are hoping to see a constructive change in that agency with
the appointment of a new undersecretary, Adm. James Loy (USCG, Ret.). He is
promising to engage ALPA and the rest of the airline industry in discussions,
suggestions, directions, and goal setting; something the previous director did
not do.

Earlier this year, we participated in a number of meetings with FAA Flight
Standards. Those meetings focused on the methods to be used in satisfying an
off-line pilot's identification/employment verification. That guidance will soon
be disseminated to our principal operations inspectors as a change to their
Inspectors Handbook. However, we will still need to get the TSA's approval.

The FAA will allow airlines to implement either electronic, computer-type
verification systems or a basic telephonic system. A telephone verification
system is in place now with Alaska and Northwest. However, telephonic
verification is not seen as a viable mechanism industrywide.

The vice-presidents in charge of our flight operations meet quarterly as the
Operations Council of the Air Transport Association (ATA). They have asked
tasked their IT people to develop a system that will allow the different,
proprietary computer systems our airlines use to communicate with each other.

A test of that system will be conducted soon with American, Continental, FedEx,
Southwest, and UPS participating. A preliminary test has already been conducted
between two of those airlines, and the ID verification came back in 7 seconds.
When the broader system test is conducted and verified, it will be demonstrated
to the TSA.

While ALPA has worked for many years toward implementing an industry-wide
universal access/smart card system, the deployment of such a system is not in
our immediate future. The ATA-developed system may be our best means yet of
regaining off-line jumpseats while we continue to pursue an acceptable,
industry-wide system that can ensure that we grant cockpit jumpseat access to
only those individuals who truly belong there."

Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact your jumpseat
committee.

Wow, thanks for that post! It mentioned that NW has the phone system available. I mainly J/S on NW. How does that system work or how could I take advantage of that system, or could I even take advantage of it? Sorry for all of the questions and being very ignorant on this subject, but a lot of us freight guys are kinda left out of the loop when it comes to this stuff. BTW if there is anyone that is curious about my company's route structure for riding J/s PM me and I can give it to you. Thanks again.

SD

The Northwest phone system is only for Alaska Pilots as far as I know, not even Horizon Pilots can use it even though they are a code share carrier as well.

I personally don't think ALPA has done enough on the whole Jumpseat issue. Yes, they were quick to get jumpseating back for riding in the back. But it has now been almost 1-year since 9/11, and guess what? You still can't jumpseat on other airlines. On the route that I commute on, the flight is overbooked 98% of the time. I repeat, not full... overbooked. And there are always a ton of non-revs on top of the overbooked revenue passengers.

The bottom line is that the FAA now requires "Positive identification and employment verification." I honestly have no problem with that and I think it's good. It makes the whole jumpseating system more safe. The problem that I do have is when ALPA has millions of dollars in the bank and they haven't set up a system of ID and Employment verification. I guess they think that they are going to wait for someone else (like the airlines) to spend money on a system for ID and Employment verification. Yeah right! Jumpseating is a priviledge for all commuting pilots. Do you think the FAA or the airline management gives a crap when we are stuck for another night in an airport? Therefore, ALPA should be the one spending the money on some type of ID and Employment verification system. Whether it be via telephone or some other electronic means (swipe card, etc.), they should have had a plan of action and carried it out by now. If they have to set up a whole department and hire manpower for it, then so be it. But in all fairness on there part, the last guy who was head of the TSA was a complete idiot and apparently he wouldn't even work with ALPA on many issues (guns was a big one). Hopefully this new guy will be good. But I guarantee you that no ALPA member who is a commuting pilot would mind in the slightest that there dues money was being spent on a system that made there commute easier and allowed them full jumpseating priveledges.

What can be done at this point? Write your ALPA rep ASAP and tell them that ALPA needs to get offline cockpit jumpseating back now, and that they need to be the ones implementing the system. If they have to set the system up themselves and spend a little money, then OK. That's what you pay dues for.

Latest resources

Back