Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Illini Pilot

Hey all,

Im taking a trip this summer out to CA for a week or so with my family. I'm pretty sure that if i were to just go up to the capt. and ask that if the jumpseat was empty that maybe i could ride up front that he would tell me no(against comp. regs etc). however, is there any ways around this...can i contact UAL and ask for permission or anything? long shot in this era of tight security but i thought i would try.(flying United btw)

It was against FAA rules prior to 9/11 and unless you're on their approved jumpseat list it ain't gonna happen. Don't waste your time.

Those approved are the company's own pilots, NTSB, FAA and maybe a few other official personnel approved by the FAA and company.

Offline airline pilots can no longer ride on another company's jumpseat in the cockpit. A private/student pilot certainly wouldn't be granted access.

Why would you want to possibly jeopardize your possible future career by doing something illegal? In order for you to have the jumpseat privledge, you have to have a commercial, ATP or dispatcher certificate, and a job at a certificated carrier that requires that certificate. Also certain other people are authorized, but those are the majority of qualified people.

I once worked at a 121 regional that had a crew scheduler that happened to have his dispatcher certificate. He was trying to get home one day, and decided to tell a mainline captain that he was a dispatcher for our company. He ended up losing his job, and probably lost his certificate as well. I guess he will never be a dispatcher now. I also had a person who worked for a large flight school tell me they got a jumpseat with their company ID, and that person was a secretary for the school. I wondered why this person would try to throw their career away for something so small.

I know you think riding in the cockpit is really cool, and I would agree with you. However, if someday you are qualified and get to ride up front, you will be shocked that you even considered asking for it when you were not qualified. Someday you might even grow tired of being up front and prefer to ride in a nice comfortable seat in the back. I know that sounds difficult to believe, but it's true for most people. I would suggest that you learn to wait, and it will come soon enough. Good luck to you.

Latest resources

Back