Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

It will roll

It just wont be prettty.
As a new pilot to the biz, I was just curious which airlines had the best policies for hitching a ride. Curious about UA, CAL, AA, DL mostly. I fly for US Airways Express. Just wanna know which airlines I have the best chance of actually getting on.
-Thanks!

Uh, that is really a question you ask your jumpseat cord. And the airline you have the best chance of getting on depends on where you are going.

I'm somewhat new too, but from what others have experienced, jumpseats shouldn't be a problem for most airlines. AAL only takes 1 non-AA jumper. I didn't have any problems on SWA or AWA. I haven't heard of any problems except for gate agents not having a clue.

Most of the regionals like to have you list beforehand (my understanding is that Horizon is a must for listing).

Best policy is to call the airline before hand (especially if you can get a non-rev number) or show up a little earlier than normal and go to the ticket counter before the gate.

Jumpseat on other airlines
As a new pilot to the biz, I was just curious which airlines had the best policies for hitching a ride. Curious about UA, CAL, AA, DL mostly. I fly for US Airways Express. Just wanna know which airlines I have the best chance of actually getting on.
-Thanks!

I've been jumpseating for about a year now and have had pretty good luck. Best bet is to speak with your union jumpseat coordinator. Certain airlines have restrictions on the number of jumpseaters so check be fore you go. Good luck.

I was under teh impression AA had unlimited agreements with certain airlines....

Continental jumpseating

:angryfire Continental denied jumpseating yesterday. I flew DAY-CLE on Expressjet and then tried to jumpseat to EWR....but NO...these gate agents in CLE told me that ...I don't know if it's possible to jumpseat, because most of these planes nowdays don't have jumpseats anymore... OK...so at this point I knew that I was not gonna get anywhere...at least with this airline, because of their lack of training on this matter. Jumpseating with all the other airlines is easy...avoid Continental...at least in CLE.

Last edited:
Finnair said:
:angryfire Continental denied jumpseating yesterday. I flew DAY-CLE on Expressjet and then tried to jumpseat to EWR....but NO...these stupid gate agents in CLE told me that ...I don't know if it's possible to jumpseat, because most of these planes nowdays don't have jumpseats anymore...WTF. OK...so at this point I knew that I was not gonna get anywhere...at least with this airline, because of their lack of training on this matter. Jumpseating with all the other airlines is easy...avoid Continental...at least in CLE.

Being denied sucks bad man...sorry to hear that...and you guys were on their agreement list?

Wankel

Jumpseating

Due to the fact there are bad people out there I will not elaborate on procedures, however I can recommend a couple of things, never lose your cool with the agents, remember this is a privilage, it only takes one guy in your airline to screw it up.

Finnair said:
Jumpseating with all the other airlines is easy...avoid Continental...at least in CLE.
Word. (Although I'd change 'all' to 'many of'.)

Their one OAL jumpseater rule is total bs!!! :angryfire Their Int'l policy also rots unless you happen to work for an major international carrier such as Southwest.

My disclaimer: I have ridden CO many times and never had an issue with the pilots. In fact some of them have even bent their FOM regs to help me out. Many thanks, guys.

Having said that, I can't tell you how many times I've been left at the gate watching a half-empty 737 push back because someone else got there first. Additionally, CO always seems to be "weight critical" - the gate agent's way of telling you to kick rocks, since any decent captain will burn a little gas to get a jumpseater on board.

Latest resources

Back