Jumpseat Etiquette

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
chperplt said:
How about those that come up front and hand you the jumpseat form and say..."I'm your jumpseater" and then walk off.

exactly...two weeks ago, certain air whisky cpt commuting out of Appleton to ATL thrusts his paperwork up in the cockpit, doesn't say a word except "here you go". when he deplanes, doesn't even so much as say bye or thanks. i couldn't understand why the capt on my flight wasn't even bothered by it. i thought it was highly unprofessional (but judging from the js'ers appearance, i wasn't surprised).

It kinda bothers me when someone comes into the cockpit to ask for the jumpseat and completely blows me, the FO, off.
I always make it a point to introduce myself to 'both' pilots when I ask for a ride.

jetexas

While I always endeavored to introduce myself to both (or all three) crewmembers, sometimes when the agent is standing there trying to close the door on your suitcase the most expeditious course of action is a quick hello and request to the captain so your bag (or leg) does not get left on the jetbridge.
Don't take it personally. It is just a matter of external forces at work and not anything against f.o.'s.

At least misery loves company. There is a 5 page long rant about this going on at our union website. What ever happened to the introduction? As a commuter, I always introduce myself to the lead FA FIRST, then ask to go to the cockpit. As the Captain, it might be my airplane, but as a jumpseater, I will have to deal with the lead FA, so be nice. She thinks it is her airplane. Don't forget the FO, they will make the decision someday soon, so at least introduce yourself.

I like to see the id's etc, but I'll take anyone that gets to the airplane, so It is really a formality, at least with me.

Some gate agents take it upon themselves to issue an ACM a seat in the back automatically, and I've even seen them tell me to just go in the back and grab a seat. I always made it a point to go up front, introduce myself to Capt and FO, and ask for a ride. I would also ALWAYS point out what the gate agents are doing to undermine captain's authority when it comes to jumpseaters.

The way I see it, If the poor guy has made it through layers of security, stares and feeling like a motherless child, I am going to let him jumpseat. He might be one of those guys who has been on the road for three weeks and has been up the last 24 hours. He might just be able to get home for 24 hours before he is going to get called out for another three week world tour without a bath or a bed without bugs in it. My ego doesn't need to see him if he has a seat assignment. I just hope he feels that he was treated well.

I always make it right to the cockpit to ask to ride the jumpseat. If the Capt / FO aren't busy I will usually shot the breeze a little to see how the company is doing. We had a JSer that litterally threw his paperwork in the cockpit and walked out. Needless to say the Capt was out of the cockpit to explain a little JS etiquitte to the guy.

R,
Jethro

It's not a right but a privledge

I not only introduce myself to both the Captain and FO and ASK very politely to bum a ride, I drop off a couple bags of M&Ms, with peanuts of course, just to say thanks!

I will join the foray here. When I was at Allegheny, I had a lot of guys jumpseating. Most did come up and say hi and ask, but 90% of the time, I could not get a "Thanks for the ride" from them. I think that is just as important. Common courtesy dictates that I think. It does not take that much time.

As I joined jetBlue, I noticed that there seemed to be a bit more respect directed towards the front end crew. I don't know if it is because I was only a "commuter pilot" before or not. I think that is BS. A free ride is a free ride. Would you only say thanks if an 18 wheeler picked you up along the side of the road, or would you say thanks to a pick up truck too.

The time that Pi__ed me off the most was when a guy sent his scope badge up front with his ID as he was asking for a ride. I was still at Allegheny then and to me, that was completely ignorant. I gave him a ride, but I sent him a note during the flight and he asked to talk afterwards. He just did not get it though. Scope me only fly a DHC-8 at the regionals, but still give a free ride with out heart burn when it is shoved in my face....

Ahhh..... I feel better now.....

The problem is that AA gate agents issue you a ticket after checking your credential.I think these people are mistakenly thinking they do not have to talk to the capt since they have a ticket issued.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back