Jumpseat 101 for FEDEX Pilot.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Purpled said:
I don't care if you don't take someone who isn't polite and is a jerk, that's their problem. Or, take them and then publicly humiliate them here, if you like.

The one hour rule is imposed by our company, not sure why. Probably so the ramp doesn't have to change the W&B at the last minute. If it were up to us, you could get on with late-bulk freight, after the door is closed.

Good luck with your jumpseat war, I'm sure it will work out for you just fine.

It's your attitude towards proper etiquette that brought on the whole thread.
Send me a PM with your name, so I'll know ta greet ya warmly when ya show up.

FedEx1 said:
Also keep in mind a pilot has to do the jumpseater brief- pax guys have flight attendants.

Not quite right. If the JSer is riding up front it's up to the pilots to conduct the brief.

freightdogfred said:
It's your attitude towards proper etiquette that brought on the whole thread.
Send me a PM with your name, so I'll know ta greet ya warmly when ya show up.

And you have a problem with proper etiquette?

For the record, it was my idea to share helpful hints on each individual airlines quirks to help guys out when they jumpseated. We've provided good info on Fedex, how about your airline? Which one was that again?

Can't we just all get along! You guys sound worse than an bunch of eight year old's. Just do what your mama taught ya and remember we are all in this gig together.

T.S.

Purpled said:
And you have a problem with proper etiquette?

For the record, it was my idea to share helpful hints on each individual airlines quirks to help guys out when they jumpseated. We've provided good info on Fedex, how about your airline? Which one was that again?

I have no problem with proper etiquette...I have a problem with your attitude towards proper etiquette. I learned it from doing this job for over 20 years, bumming rides from old-skool skippers at outfits like PanAm,Eastern and TWA, roughly about the time you were going thru puberty.

Send me a PM with your name, and I'll respond with my airline. Then we'll be be able to keep an "eye" out for each other.

freightdogfred said:
I have no problem with proper etiquette...I have a problem with your attitude towards proper etiquette. I learned it from doing this job for over 20 years, bumming rides from old-skool skippers at outfits like PanAm,Eastern and TWA, roughly about the time you were going thru puberty.

Send me a PM with your name, and I'll respond with my airline. Then we'll be be able to keep an "eye" out for each other.

And what is my attitude towards proper etiquette?

BTW, personal info in exchange for the name of an airline that you don't work for isn't quid pro quo.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
I think what Thedude is talking about is the learning curve. How'd it be if a bunch of civilians joined your squadron.... as an 0-5 with attitude!

It sure is nice that the MIL guys have good CIV careers.. or sometimes even jobs, that they can transition to...

When the MIL guys go straight to FX, UPS, jetBlue, SWA, etc.. they are by-passing the JO indoctrination of the 'regionals'......

The CIV guys that have been in the airlines since flight hour 1 have been custodians.... And when the MIL guys show up they blend in well and become custodians of the Air Line Profession too....

Sounds like you should have joined the military, the JO Indoc in the NAVY is a heck of alot tougher than the Civilian Indoc.

YOU GUYS SOUNDS LIKE A BUNCH OF BABIES. IF I EVER FIND YOU ON MY LITTLE BEECH, I HOPE YOU ACT WITH POLITENESS, RESPECT, AND PROFESSIONALISM. PERIOD. THAT'S ALL YOU NEED, AND THAT'S USUALLY ALL I EVER FIND ANYWAYS!
Balls Out!

Sorry to dredge up a weeks-old thread here, but I was hoping someone would actually post something a little more useful...

I'm a military dude...have no airline experience other than riding in back, and I'm hoping to fly for a major when I'm done flying for the AF. I have been reading this website and elsewhere to get smart on the industry, and threads like this just show that I have a lot to learn.

Can someone, seriously, post a little jumpseat 101 for a military pilot? I gather that the polite thing to do is to greet both the FO and Capt, as well as introduce yourself...what are the other customs and courtesies that are expected as a jumpseater?

- Bring cookies for the gate agent and the crew. Makes a world of difference.

- It's nice to wait until everyone else deplanes before getting off.

- Be the nicest guy you can. You're representing your pilot group, and believe me, F/A's and others talk about the different types of pilots.

I was talking to a scheduler at GAC once who was a ticket agent 10 years before for ACA. I told her I was going to FDX, and she immediately told me how nice the FDX guys were who commuted out of IAD. Like I said, you're representin'.

Latest resources

Back