Jump plane takes out skydiver

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
gkrangers said:
it was very sad..and there is a 424 page thread about this.
that's funny, I was almost thinking I was experiencing Vous Ja de, a feeling of having been nowhere before.

Sorry, I try to keep up but I guess I missed that one.

In any case, RIP Mr. Wing.

I almost took out a skydiver today. He was landing on the departure end of the runway I took off from.

I thought it was standard procedure to 1) have pilot announce jumpers away, and 2) jumpers don't land on a runway.

Am I missing something?

English said:
I almost took out a skydiver today. He was landing on the departure end of the runway I took off from.

I thought it was standard procedure to 1) have pilot announce jumpers away, and 2) jumpers don't land on a runway.

Am I missing something?
Why wouldn't a jumper land on a runway?

They try not to land on any paved surface because it's not very forgiving, but they are like a glider...once they are where they are, they be there. I'm sure he would have done a toga if he/she could.

Maybe it was a student...you could paint an "L" and "R" on the top of their shoes and they still wouldn't know which steering toggle to pull down when you called them on the radio...they be dumb just like students. You remember them English? :D

VNugget said:
Sorry, I try to keep up but I guess I missed that one.

In any case, RIP Mr. Wing.
It happens...don't take the ribbing too seriously...it's not your fault you didn't memorizes all the threads on the forum.

As far as Mr Wing, I hope his passing was not as painful as I imagine it might have been.

English said:

It is standard for the pilot to announce. How long had you been on the frequency before this occurred? From the time the jumpers away call is made until the last canopy is on the ground can be 10 minutes. In some cases, it can be significantly more if they are deploying their canopies right after exit....then you could be looking at 15-20 minutes. Also, the pilot may have announced it one Center frequency, but neglected to announce it on CTAF....or, maybe you had the wrong CTAF tuned in.

As for jumpers not landing on a runway....well, there's nothing that says they can't, legally. We generally try to avoid it as FN said because concrete is not forgiving like grass in case somebody falls during landing. Most DZ's require that jumpers not cross the runway lower than 800-1000'. If, however, somebody gets themself in a bad position and ends up about to cross the runway lower to make the only landing area around....they're probably not concerned with the a$s chewing they'll get for crossing it too low. As FN said....if it was a student, well...they never do what we tell them anyways. They're too nervous to think straight.

Latest resources

Back