Jump in Air Fares?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pilotyip

My wife travels to DTW to ABQ on regular basis. Checks fares every week looks for a deal 6-8 weeks out and then buys a ticket. For the last year she has been doing round trip for around $200. She flew NWA, SWA, AAL, and Frontier. Now everyone, except Frontier, has raised their fares to around $400 round trip. Even SWA cheapest ticket through October was $435 RT. Three weeks ago that ticket was around $187. I wonder how this will effect load factors?

My wife travels to DTW to ABQ on regular basis. Checks fares every week looks for a deal 6-8 weeks out and then buys a ticket. For the last year she has been doing round trip for around $200. She flew NWA, SWA, AAL, and Frontier. Now everyone, except Frontier, has raised their fares to around $400 round trip. Even SWA cheapest ticket through October was $435 RT. Three weeks ago that ticket was around $187. I wonder how this will effect load factors?

$400 round trip for a journey of that length sounds pretty reasonable to me. Maybe those airlines are starting to get smart and price their tickets to actually cover their costs!! Maybe my airline will get smart and do that too!

Consumer view

$400 round trip for a journey of that length sounds pretty reasonable to me. Maybe those airlines are starting to get smart and price their tickets to actually cover their costs!! Maybe my airline will get smart and do that too!
But I am consumer who purchases that product, I only have so much money to spend. I will travel less at higher prices. Fewer passengers, fewer flights, fewer pilots, etc.

But I am consumer who purchases that product, I only have so much money to spend. I will travel less at higher prices. Fewer passengers, fewer flights, fewer pilots, etc.

But if the airline doesn't make any money at that 189$ fare they will not be around to carry anybody for long and none of them do on that length of trip at that price.....BTW what companies have done is reduce capacity to create a bit of demand. Kind of like a sold out ball game. I didn't think it would work but it has to a point.

I agree

But if the airline doesn't make any money at that 189$ fare they will not be around to carry anybody for long and none of them do on that length of trip at that price.....BTW what companies have done is reduce capacity to create a bit of demand. Kind of like a sold out ball game. I didn't think it would work but it has to a point.
But the point is, higher prices = fewer passengers. The cheap fares are the advance purchase fares, purchased by people who don't really have to travel if it is not convenient or economical. I agree the jury is still out on how this will effect load factors. BTW Frontier is still doing the $189 RT DTW-ABQ, so she bought her next ticket for her trip to visit the grandkids in July. If the $189 fare was not available she would not make the trip again until September.

Last edited:

And that's the problem. The consumer (you) has been trained to think that $189 is what it costs to travel across the continent. I doubt that fare from DTW to ABQ is profitable for anyone, advance purchase or not, especially if that fare included taxes and fees which the airline doesn't get. Higher fares will probably be less pilots and airplanes, which I think is already happening/already happened for most airlines. I guess grandma had better get used driving to ABQ or seeing less of her grandkids!

Last edited:
missing the point

And that's the problem. The consumer (you) has been trained to think that $189 is what it costs to travel across the continent. I doubt that fare from DTW to ABQ is profitable for anyone, advance purchase or not, especially if that fare included taxes and fees which the airline doesn't get. Higher fares will probably be less pilots and airplanes, which I think is already happening/already happened for most airlines. I guess grandma had better get used driving to ABQ or seeing less of her grandkids!
I am not the problem, I know the airlines can not cover costs at $189. But to fill 10 seats that would otherwise be empty on Tuesday at 0600 with a $189 fare used to be a good business model. Time will tell if not having that seat filled with a $189 fare makes sense. I think you are also missing the point, it does not matter if grandma drives or elect not to visit as often. The point is she will fly less at higher prices, people flying less will effect load factors. There is cause and effect in every economic action. Will 4 of those 10 seats be filled by a $400 fare to provide the revenue for that flight at 0600 on Tuesday? Things will not remain status quo. I not saying this is right or wrong.

I am not the problem, I know the airlines can not cover costs at $189. But to fill 10 seats that would otherwise be empty on Tuesday at 0600 with a $189 fare used to be a good business model.

No, it was a broken bidness model.

You wanna be on my airplane, fine, then pay the fare that is commensurate to the costs incurred in providing the transportation, and a reasonable return on investment.

Other businesses do that, it costs X to create a widget, they price it at X plus a few for profit; thats one helluva-an idea, I think youre on to something there. Price a fare, now follow me here, that PAYS the costs involved.

Wow, thats just friggin brilliant!

Latest resources

Back