• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Judge: Pilots can divorce to get lump sum, remarry same spouse

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pilots finally win one. What are we supposed to do? Sit by and watch companies steal our pensions with no recourse? F-that. All is fair in love and war. Besides, airlines go to the ends of the earth to steal whatever they can from whomever they can, for as long as they want and there is never any consequences.

This was just a little taste of their own medicine.
While this may seem like a win against the man, it is far from it. This is case of the pilots stealing the pension from their own pilots.

The A-Fund belongs to the pilots who have a promise of future money in it. The company funds it based on a schedule of predictable retirements. Pilots raiding the fund when they're not at retiring is unpredictable.

If the Fund is underfunded as a result, the lump sum option gets terminated. The remaining pilots who didn't take their money before retirement would be left with the annuity. Not sure how the annuity is funded over time, but in BK even the annuity might go to the PBGC.

If there is a run on the fund by sham divorces or by eligibles jumping ship early because of the sham divorces, this is going to hurt the pilots not the company.

This is the same group that signed a blank check to the company on the last contract, sold out the bottom third of the pilot group by closing the pension fund on them, keeping a b-scale in place, denying them medical coverage as new hires, and the list goes on. All done, ironically, to protect their retirement.

They've run out of people to raid so now they're raiding themselves, their own friends, classmates, peer group.

It shouldn't be a surprise though. They learned from the best--CAL management....the legal fees to sue these pilots did not come from CAL, it came from the retirement fund itself! Apparently there is a clause that allows use of the Fund to defend the Fund. Not a dime came from CAL. It all came from the pilots retirement fund, bringing it ever closer to underfunded status.

But not to worry, these nine got theirs.

Last edited:
Forget the A fund...................if I can swindle my wife to give me an uncontested divorce............I win!

All this and not a word about the "sanctity" of marriage? The same right wing nuts afraid that the gays are going to destroy marriage will be the first hypocrites to play the game.

Exactly, I got to fly with one of these nutz up to ANC a few weeks ago. Had to listen to his tales about the Tea Parties he attends etc... He wants the Government completely out of his health care!!!!! Until he turns 65 that is... He doesn't think Medicare is run by the government. He coughed and sneezed and blew his nose all the way up there all the time saying that he "had allergies". Well, I ended up with bronchitis last week and had to go to the doctor etc. and pay for medication. Lucky I never got called to fly on my last 6 days of reserve or I would have had to burn sick days due to this idiot who just can't call in sick and use that valuable sick time he plans to use to bridge his medical with until he goes on the non federal health care we all call Medicare..... So sick of these right winger "glad to have a job" hillbillies I have to fly with from time to time in IAH. Makes the 1 trip every 45 days I have to fly miserable.... That was for you SFR

There are a greater number of decent pilots who will retire if they think the lump sum will go away. The ERW a year ago collected a 150. Hopefully, this will get double that to number to retire.

If I recall, the same thing happened at Delta before their retirement plan went up in smoke. Might even have been a management-pilot.

The General will fill us in.

Sweet deal!!! I am still waiting to fly. I kinda feel left out you know... I feel like CAL does not like me because they never call.

NOT!!!

Latest resources

Back