Jude rules against company in Mesaba case

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BobbyBiplane said:
I smell the smoke of burning jobs. Savor now. You will lose jobs and, in the end, your future. Businesses can not continue to operate at a loss....

I think they realize the potential damage this may cause the company, but if the pay drops that much, none of them will want to work there anyway.

There comes a point where you have to realize that you are not working simply to keep "the company" in business, but to put food on your table as well.

Either the company will find another way to come up with the cash or they'll fold and the pilots will all go out and find better jobs anyway.

Keep it up guys!!!

JumpCaptain said:
I think they realize the potential damage this may cause the company, but if the pay drops that much, none of them will want to work there anyway.

There comes a point where you have to realize that you are not working simply to keep "the company" in business, but to put food on your table as well.

Either the company will find another way to come up with the cash or they'll fold and the pilots will all go out and find better jobs anyway.

Keep it up guys!!!

Exactly! Thank you for a good summary of the XJ situation. Our pay is already low (very low for FO's). It's just not worth it for any less. Part of the definition of poverty is that it fails to put food on the table. Imagine the publicity when pilots go to the welfare and food stamp offices in full uniform.

Yeah.. BobbyBI is just another screen name for the D'angelHOE. lets see now, the BI-plane signed on to this board 2 months ago and his posts do nothing but bash the union and support his BI-buddy D'angelHOE. Neither of these screen names is an Airline Pilot so don't waste your time with them. These guys are management scum trying to get their jollies on this message board. Go crawl back under your rock now loser(s). HS

Holy Shiite said:
Yeah.. BobbyBI is just another screen name for the D'angelHOE. lets see now, the BI-plane signed on to this board 2 months ago and his posts do nothing but bash the union and support his BI-buddy D'angelHOE. Neither of these screen names is an Airline Pilot so don't waste your time with them. These guys are management scum trying to get their jollies on this message board. Go crawl back under your rock now loser(s). HS

Isn't at least a huge portion of MEsaba's financial woes directly caused by getting screwed by NWA for payments? If memory serves correctly they didnt' get paid for a while.

All i know is that mesaba seems to fly pretty full airplanes so there is def. money changing hands.

I just got back from a trip this morning... Morale is high but also reserved because it seems that mangement will refile the 1113(c) motion again, addressing the issues stated in the ruling...

suupah said:
All i know is that mesaba seems to fly pretty full airplanes so there is def. money changing hands.
We're fee for departure, so the loads we carry are irrelevent to the amount of money we make.

Last edited:
Aren't all the contracted regionals paid gear up?

The latest....

MESABA AIRLINES
May 18, 2006
Dear Colleague:
U.S. Bankruptcy Court Judge Gregory F. Kishel has denied the Company’s motion to
reject its collective bargaining agreements. It’s very important to note the judge states
that Mesaba’s core business assumptions, including the 19.4 percent labor cost
concessions over 6 years, are “reasonable and necessary.” He also states that if the unions
do not recognize the dire financial condition of the company soon, Mesaba can re-file the
motion and it will be heard promptly.
Judge Kishel denied the 1113(c) motion only due to the company’s failure to provide a
working financial model to the unions and its workforce attrition model. These limited
issues either have been addressed already or will be shortly. What is clear from Judge
Kishel’s well-reasoned and thoughtful opinion is that Mesaba is in dire financial straits
and needs cost restructuring. [Judge Kishel’s full opinion is available on
www.MyMesaba.com under Key Bankruptcy Court Documents.]
While we’re disappointed in the delay, Mesaba will continue to meet with its unions to
address their concerns about the bankruptcy and to continue to seek consensual
agreements. However, if we are not able to reach consensual agreements with the unions,
the judge’s ruling permits Mesaba to address the issues he raised regarding the working
financial model and the attrition model and return to court quickly to resubmit the
1113(c) motion.
It’s quite simple, ruling or no ruling, if we cannot finalize the cost reductions, we cannot
secure the core Saab business. If we cannot secure the core Saab business, we cannot
compete for jets. If we cannot compete for jets, we cannot avert the complete downsizing.
As a result, we will continue to try to reach consensual agreements at the same time we
are redoubling our efforts in court.
You have my promise that I will keep you fully informed as Mesaba continues to work
through the bankruptcy process. Thank you for our professionalism and attention to the
safety and reliability of our flights during this challenging time.

Sincerely,
John Spanjers
President & COO

How childish! In other words, "Don't get excited yet, we can still get you!".

Yeah, that's what the Seahawks said half way through the Superbowl.

Last edited:
Workin'Stiff said:
The latest....

It’s quite simple, ruling or no ruling, if we cannot finalize the cost reductions, we cannot
secure the core Saab business. If we cannot secure the core Saab business, we cannot
compete for jets. If we cannot compete for jets, we cannot avert the complete downsizing.
As a result, we will continue to try to reach consensual agreements at the same time we
are redoubling our efforts in court.
You have my promise that I will keep you fully informed as Mesaba continues to work
through the bankruptcy process. Thank you for our professionalism and attention to the
safety and reliability of our flights during this challenging time.

Sincerely,
John Spanjers
President & COO
Moreover, is the company going to accept ALPA's latest offer? If there is no need for immediate concessions, I suppose XJ is willing to play the game long and hard. How long are you willing to fight because the bosses here at NWA are willing to make mesaba a 10+ year project.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back