• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JS to HKG

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Take United. I work for Kalitta and jumped to Tokyo a couple months ago on UAL. It was a nice ride, + if there's biz or 1st available, you will get it.

Take United. I work for Kalitta and jumped to Tokyo a couple months ago on UAL. It was a nice ride, + if there's biz or 1st available, you will get it.

If time permits, go with the freighter. UAL and NWA are notorious for over booking their flights. Getting bumped in NRT can be a pricey. Gate roulette is not fun either. All aircraft/ airlines leaving for the same destination at about the same time (NRT-HKG). Once you find out that you are bumped on one carrier it's usually too late to hop on another one (i.e. NWA)

You will rarely, if ever, get bumped on the freighter.

Just my $0.02

Last time I jumpseated on UAL LAX-HKG in 2000 I was very grateful to get a biz seat both ways, BUT when the FA's attempted to put me in an empty First Class to sit with a friend, the Purser quickly scolded me and the other FA's for doing so and told me that OAL jumpseaters cannot sit in First and pointed it out in her FOM.

So, not sure if that policy is still in effect, but worth looking into for seat availability reasons.

Coming back to the states, can you jumpseat on a freighter? I know you cant sit in the actual on a pax flight coming back, and wondered if it was possible on a freighter.

I thought that CASS restrictions prohibit off-line pilots from riding in freighter cockpits internationally. Am I wrong?

I believe that's the policy at UPS: No off-line guys internationally, since there is no barrier between the cockpit and the jumpseats--CASS rules.

I thought that CASS restrictions prohibit off-line pilots from riding in freighter cockpits internationally. Am I wrong?

I believe that's the policy at UPS: No off-line guys internationally, since there is no barrier between the cockpit and the jumpseats--CASS rules.

NOPE... Our airplanes (EV) don't have a cockpit door, so every seat on the airplane is a jumpseat.

NOPE... Our airplanes (EV) don't have a cockpit door, so every seat on the airplane is a jumpseat.

Right. Same with UPS airplanes.

I just talked with the UPS Jumpseat coordinator, and she said that CASS restrictions prohibit off-line jumpseaters in the cockpit internationally. Since there is no cockpit door, all seats on the jet are cockpit jumpseats, as you say. Therefore, only on-line guys can jumpseat in freighters internationally.

As far as I know, the only US companies that do not allow offline jumpseaters internationally are UPS and FDX. I don't understand the whole cockpit door thing, because Kalitta, Atlas, Southern, and the rest don't have cockpit doors yet they take offline guys.

I don't know about UPS, but at my company offline jumpseaters are certainly permitted to jumpseat on the airplane back to the states. Maybe we do something different than UPS, but we don't have cockpit doors and I have seen with my own eyes offline employees jumpseating on the airplane back into the US.

As far as I know, the only US companies that do not allow offline jumpseaters internationally are UPS and FDX. I don't understand the whole cockpit door thing, because Kalitta, Atlas, Southern, and the rest don't have cockpit doors yet they take offline guys.
That's strange, I've talked to JS coordinators at three different airlines (pax) and they all said that for international jumpseats a cockpit door had to be installed since the ACMs are ONLY allowed to ride in the back (technically jumpseaters turning non-revs).

If there is no cockpit door, all seats on that airplane ARE jumpseats and since riding in the actual cockpit on international flights is not allowed (was told those are CASS rules) – NO offline jumpseaters would be allowed! Those rules apply internationally only.

I have no clue how Kalitta and others get away with that; I think it's great but don't know why TSA cares so much about our jumpseaters and no so much about theirs? Weird...

Latest resources

Back