John and Martha want your opinion...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
John and Martha want your opinion

Rick Rockwell isn't Martha's brother. Her maiden name is Rockwood. He isn't really a millionaire, either.

Someone named Rick was getting on a plane today and I heard children screaming and running away from the ramp. I had just heard someone greet the person as Rick as they were getting out of their car to load luggage but hadn't actually looked up when the screaming began. I managed to get my flight bag and snap this photo before they boarded the aircraft.

http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/atl/n/e/nealw/marta.jpg

RT

My only experience with the King's wasn't a pleasant one. A few years back I was on final to an uncontrolled airport in a JetStar and a Citation I that had just landed announced "we're going to back-taxi." I kindly replied that there is a JetStar on short final and that since there's room on the parallel taxiway for a JetStar, there should be plenty of room a Citation I. The Citation mumbled unable or something and I had to go around!

After I finally landed and used the TAXIWAY I found out that it was the Kings flying their Citation. I had a few kind words with them about their technique. Now mind you, I have no problem with back-taxiing at a small airport, but if you are going to do it please announce your intentions on downwind so that the following traffic can adjust their pattern accordingly.

They were new to flying jets at the time (they even sumped the tanks), but I think they must have been high on life or crack, because their happy-go lucky demeanor never changed throughout the discussion. Other than that they seemed nice enough.

John and Martha are not now, nor have they ever been, professional pilots. I realize professional is an attitude, not a paycheck, but they have never had a real flying job. Sure, they fly their jet all over the place, but they've never HAD to go and find their way through the weather, they've never HAD to make a schedule, they've never HAD to cater to the whims of passengers. When they wanted to fly a jet, they didn't have to compete with others for a job, they just went out and bought a jet. They have never really given any substantial amount of flight instruction, either. Their forte' is in ground instruction.

:D

Jetlinda! You be so bad! Whew! You broke the backboard on that one.

I think that would look good on their grave markers don't you?

"John and Martha are not now, nor have they ever been, professional pilots."

RT

Linda, I have it on what I consider good authority that Rick and Martha are indeed brother and sister. She did a TV interview about Rick's work as an actor to play the part of the "millionaire" on the TV show. This wouldn't be the first time that somone altered their name for a shot at an acting career.

When I saw "author", and your listed time, I thought at first that you might be Linda Pendelton. She has known the Kings for many years.

Have you written any books on aviation?

I am Linda Pendleton. I have known the Kings for many years. I have written a book called "Flying Jets" published by McGraw-Hill. Rick Rockwell is NOT Martha King's brother, nor is his real name Rockwell (or Rockwood either -- I forget what it really is).

BTW, Rick was not playing a part in that "Who Wants to Marry a Multimillionaire" show. According to him, he thought he might really find true love there (what a joke!). John and Martha King were at the taping of the show. I don't know who your good authority is, but I can tell you for sure that Rick Rockwell is NOT Martha's brother.

Now, mind telling me how you might know that I have known the Kings for many years?

Latest resources

Back