• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Job

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Get a camera and try to line up some aerial photo gigs. I just signed one this past week for a few thousand bucks. It's not steady income but it gives me some beer money in addition to my real life job.

I have tried mass mailings, email/snail mail (a few responses but no takers)
I had a cheap website built (most of my gigs start at my website)
I advertise my website on the back of my truck
I have biz cards that I place everytime I see a place I can stick one
I am going to do some advertising in a few local papers
I donated a few photo gigs to a couple of charity auctions (great way to get your name out there) Plus nobody ever contacts me about the photo they bid on (go figure)
I managed to get my website name on a radio spot (people actually told me they heard the DJ's mention the name.
I took some free photos of my boss's house while on a flight one day (it doesn't hurt that he is on the town council in a very wealthy town).

It's all in name recognition..... There are other aerial photographers in my area but you really have to do some serious searching to find out about them.

You have to go beyond the obvious and approach the customer at a different angle, it's what sets you apart from the others. My main goal right now is to provide amazing customer service and get my name known in my area so when people think aerial photos, they will think of me.

Goodluck

If you have an FBO nearby, rent a plane and take some pictures. If they frown upon you using the plane for your business purposes take a starving CFI with you and let them fly the plane while you shoot. (hint, always pay them extra beyond what the FBO pays them per hour).

Well I think I could get an airplane without problems from my FBO....I'm going to pursue this, any info on fair prices or anything they look for in specific with regards to aerial photos?

You need to research what aerial photographers are charging in your area. Give them a call and create a story about needing photos of a piece of property and see what they say. I called one this past winter and was shocked at the total line of B.S. they fed me. Act like you don't know anything about aviation and get ready for the amazing stories about what it costs to fly a Cessna 172 for an hour. talk very little and listen to what they say.... You will find that most people will get a bad case of diahrrea of the mouth if given the opportunity to speak. ( I think I am getting that way right now).
Goodluck

Latest resources

Back