• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Job Situation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How many of you actually have to perform short and soft feild take off and landings in all your legs?

So when the Cheif Pilot at a Teir 3 regional ask me why I never got a CFI and buddy beside me did I'll tell him why.

How many of you flew in Alaska? Thats the only place that compares to bush flying here in the north. How many of you have flown ski's before?

You can't tell me that a guy who has 1500 hour's of instructing and a guy with 1500 hours of bush flying have the same amount of expirience.

That is why I'm staying here for now. Later on when I have the proper expirience I'll come down there and apply at a regional.

How many regional airlines fly ndb approachs into 2500', soft feilds on skis. It may be experience, it may be good experience, nobody is questioning that. But is the best experience comensurate with the job you desire in the long run?

I.E., operations under IFR in controlled airspace and dealing with, and getting along with people on the flight deck of an a/c. Adhering to policy, procedures, and company SOPs, OpSpecs, regulations, crowded airports, ramp operations, ad infinitum.

Hey man, we tried to help. You solicited suggestions for employment and based on a quick count, 18 different people chimed in, 16 of whom say instruct. The other two are ambiguous.

I remember when I was 19 also. I never listened to advice and had to go crack my head into a few brick walls to get the idea. Opening my ears would have saved a lot of headache, heartache and wasted time.

You're not even 20 years old yet. You're Commercial rated. You fly some pretty cool aircraft into some pretty hairy places in pretty crappy weather, saving lives, no less. If my personal experience is worth anything, I'd say you think your crap don't stink.

If you really want to fly for an airline, do yourself a favor and listen to these experienced folks who fly down here in the everyday world. I don't know of any regionals that scud-run into semi-frozen lakes in sharp mountain valleys on skis or floats. If that's what you want to do, just stay up north. No interviewer down here is going to get stiff when you tell him about all your cowboy adventures in the bush.

Re-read that quote by Lindbergh, if you read it at all. Listen to what he's telling you. You might find your personal limits doing the flying your doing now, but you're never going to know your airplane's limits. Instructing will make you a better pilot, period.

That's all I've got to say about that....

Sounds like you have as a good a job you're going to get with the experience you have. I'm not sure why you are asking us about job opportunities.

Right now, regionals can take the cream of the crop, those that are still hiring. They aren't going to even look at someone with your level of experience. Anything else you might me able to scare up here in the states isn't going to be any better than what you have now. Be patient, pay your dues and at some point you can get a job down here.

p.s. What's wrong with a Canadian working for a carrier in your own country? Why the desire to fly here?

Like Medivacer, I come from Canada, so I know a bit of what he speaks. I, however, live in the way South (London), am still in University, and plan on doing my instructing rating. First, let me clear something up. In Canada, there is no "CFI, CFII, MEI, etc." You get a "Class IV instructor's rating" and move to a 3, 2, 1, depending on experience. Just a tidbit of knowledge.

Also, as shocking as it may sound, he is right. Instructors are not treated with the same respect in Canada as they are in the USA. Many people often joke about them, but I have spoken to many successful instructors. I sometimes wish it was like the US here, because I want to instruct so much, but I fear that I will be frowned upon. Many people (Canadians and Americans) tell me not to worry. I think the big difference comes in attitude. For instance, Medivacer makes it seem like instructors have no shot at any jobs afterwards, but that is not the case. I have spoken to 727 pilots who had about 500-1000tt and were instructors. I've met Dash 8, B1900Ds, Twotter, etc pilots who used to be instructors. An old instructor from my school is now flying Caravans up North, and another, flying PC12s, both turbines. In my opinion, one's attitude will be the determining factor in how far he/she can go in their careers.

If you start flying because you have a passion for it, and you are perserveringd and patient, you will succeed. If not, you may not get so far because the frustration will get the worst of you. Medivacer, I'm not accusing you of anything, though.

Canadian or American, it doesn't matter. Just stay positive and your career will be a success, in my opinion.

PS- For anyone that hasn't had Tim Hortons, it's only the best **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** donut shop in the world.

Krispy Kreme, my friend...Krispy Kreme. People have killed for less than a fresh KK Doughnut.

Land a 100,000 Lbs at Midway in a snowstorm and a 30kt crosswind mountie boy, then come down here and tell us how we can't fly.

Fletch

Attitude

Every time I looked at the board during work today I was debating if I should add a comment to this thread.

One thing I've noticed about this board is help and advice are only a post away. People ask for help about everything, from career advice, to jobs, to finding an AME, to finding sunglasses and checks with airplane designs. No request for help or advice goes unanswered for more than a few minutes. Try to get help like that from Kit Darby and his FAPA descendants.

People may agree or disagree with the advice being given. Sometimes you receive advice that you don't want to hear or accept. That apparently has happened for you. But there is no reason to come back with a 'tude. Most pilots are friendly and try to help each other, with advice, gouge, information, whatever. Most people are grateful that someone took the time to help, and thank them. You did not.

Medivacer, when you started the thread you said you were a 300-hour pilot. You asked about jobs here. Well, most people will see that and think, "low-timer, he/she needs to build time to be considered seriously for the next job - the easiest job to get to build that time quickly is to instruct." Then you fire back with your bush experience and attitude. No one will discount the value of your experience, but you, my friend, are still a 300-hour pilot and people will advise accordingly. It is clear that you are not a listener. If you wish to fly for an airline, perhaps you should develop the habit of listening to people because, if you get that far, you'll be listening to plenty of Captains for quite a while. Having said all that, I wish you well. And, by the way, the commuters here hire plenty of flight instructors.

Uwochris, flight instructors aren't always shown respect down here, either. Take it from someone who knows. Just the same, you nailed it on the head. Attitude is everything. Yours sounds excellent to me. Lots of luck with your education and flight training. :)

1900 Laker, I would have killed to be hired into the training department of any airline. I hope others reading your post appreciate that insight.

Last edited:
I can think of at least 2 exlakers that I personally knew that were hired to be instructors first. Both very low time (less than 500TT). They did 1/2 month groundschool instructing and 1/2 month flying the line as FOs. 1 of the 2 flew on the cargo side (135) as a captain for about a year because he wasn't 23 years old yet to meet the ATP requirement. Both those guys have since moved on to AWAC, but like you said, I wish I would have known about deals like that too.

And yes, attitude is EVERYTHING in this game. Thanks for the pat on the back Bobby with your comments on those taking the time to post trying to help.

1900Laker, you and I must know the same two instructors.

Anyways, I don't want to waste any more time on this Medivacer thread.

Medivacer you need to think about how you are saying things!!!!!
I have to agree with Fletch717 a little.
8hrs of flying in a day. Think about Takeoff and landings on an 18 leg day. doesn't sound to bad until it was done in solid I to mins every time. the T.O. and landings is the only time you see anything below 200 ft or so. Thats what flying around the Cape Cod and Boston area is like a lot. Some of the days you can put the 30 Xwind in and someimes its on your tail.
Bush flying is an expierence no doubt, but there is alot more things happenning in flying and expierences that you won't see there, That you will need to get, to recieve the job you seem to eventually desire.(Agree with Metro)
some other things you have not seen: High density traffic areas Like N.Y. a few feet this or that way won't cut it there. and getting the arrivals and departures right is a must.
Bush and Airline flying, is 2 totaly different flying enviorments.
Oh yea Just one question just how are you doing this type of flying with only 300hrs?
MINS

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back