Job Offer, should I take it?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

daneav8

Hello all, my goal is to fly for a major airline; however, I have not met the golden 1000-1300 Turbine PIC yet. Here is my situation. I am currently employed with a Part 91 corporate outfit as a captain on a Citation Ultra (V). There are 2 of us here and we fly 500 hours/yr and we swap legs; so I am logging about 250 hrs/yr as Turbine PIC and 250 hrs/yr as SIC. It is a good job with great pax, great equipment, a good schedule, and good pay. The other day a friend, who is a Chief Pilot with a PART91/135 outfit flying a Bombardier Global Express, offered me a job. Man!, tough decision.

Here is the question, what job would better prepare me for a shot at the majors?

The pros to the job offer include a 30% increase in pay over my current salary, I would be type rated immediately, it would provide part 135 and international experience, and it would be heavier equipment.

The cons would be I don't yet know how long it would take to upgrade to Captain (due to insurance or company requirements) and therefore log the golden turbine PIC. There is a 2 year contract for the type-rating. The QOL might be less due to less time off, the owner of the airplane is supposedly an &*#hole, and I am not so sure that the operation is that stable when compared to where I am know, although I realize that any flight department can disappear in a heartbeat.

It really boils down to this; is the 135/ international experience/ heavier equip. worth the jump over to the new job? Or is better to stay where I am already established as a captian, acting as PIC, in a company that is growing and already talking about buying another, bigger airplane in addition to the one we have now.

Let me give you a little background if it helps; at the rate I am logging Turnine PIC, I would meet the Golden 1000-1300 TPIC in about 2-3 years. I am 36 years old, and I am currently in the Army Guard flying UH60 helicopters as Aircraft Commander(PC), so I have military experience, although not in Fixed-wing aircraft.

Thanks all for your advise; I truly appreciate and respect it.
daneav8

Big $ out there for freelance Global Captains.

Would you have to agree to no moonlighting or would you be able to fly on your days off for extra $ ?

Well, something else to consider is, what major airline do you want to work for? You mentioned the 1000-1300 Turbine PIC which alludes to SWA, Fed Ex, & UPS. Or would you consider CAL, DAL, & soon to be UAL, all of which do not have a turbine PIC requirement? Do you know anybody at any of the aformentioned carriers? What carrier is your goal??? What region would you like to eventually settle down in? Are you married now? Kids?

IMHO, the Global job (if it's in a city you want to live in) beats the pants out of considering CAL, UAL, & DAL...... Now Fed Ex, UPS, & SWA maybe not so much. It depends on your personal situation. There are a lot of variables. At 36 your still young enough to give the airlines a go. I also think the Global Type wouldn't be a bad move & even if you went to the place & they shut down, you'd still have the guard, plus you'd be a little more marketable in the corporate world with the Global type & time. Just my worthless opinion. At least you have options though.... Good luck!

Do the Global. Log PIC when you are in the left seat, flying it empty, etc. The 250 PIC a year is not that much anyway. BD-700 pilots tend to make ~$2000/ day freelance. Good luck to you.

I try and try and try to get jobs flying Globals, Gulfstreams, Challengers or Falcons with no luck, and you have one thrown in your lap.

Take it!

Or hand it to me. :D

Did y'all miss that the owner of the airplane is an a-hole and the stability is questionable? From what I hear of corporate flying those red flags alone would be enough to keep me in the Citation. Even without those I'd say that the Citation PIC will probably get you an interview just as well as GlobalEx time, and it sounds like you have a pretty good job so I'd give staying put some serious consideration. The grass isn't always greener. Good luck.

QOL might be less due to less time off, the owner of the airplane is supposedly an &*#hole, and I am not so sure that the operation is that stable when compared to where I am know

I would have a real hard time ignoring this little detail.

A bird in hand...

The grass is always greener...

You sound pretty happy where you are now. Your hesitation is warranted.

Life is Short

Life is too short to purposefully choose to be unhappy, my friend. I don't remember if you said how old you are, but I suspect you're young enough to break into the majors within a few years and still have plenty of productive years ahead of you in the big iron. In the mean time, why not stay happy? Cheers, and good luck either way. WS

Thanks folks for all the rapid replies. I will admit it is still a tough call.
Somebody asked if I was married w/ kids...no and no. My goal for the majors would be SWA; specifically SWA because I have a few friends working there-so I need to obtain the 1300 PIC turbine.

The job offer is a tough call. It is not everyday that a Global Express type rating falls in your lap. On the other hand, I am pretty happy where I am and hate to leave a known quantity for an unknown if there is no real benefit to my future airline career. Although the pay increase would be great! I currently get about 10-14 days of a month and don't fly holidays. The Global Express job, I have been told, flys on nearly every holiday, and there is not nearly as much time off.

But really, the big question is; would the Global job (part 135/ international experience)position me better in the future for a shot at the majors (SWA in paticular)? If so, I don't mind less time off/ flying holidays. Plus it is a 30% increase in pay to boot.

I guess I need to find out how many hours I would be logging as PIC turbine in the Global X as compared to my present job (250 hrs/yr PIC turb).

Thanks all for helping out the up and comers.
daneav8

Latest resources

Back