Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

B1900FO

Alright guys, this is a toughie...

6 months in with an RJ carrier right now. My expenses exceed my monthly income.

I was just offered a job back home making 55k as a Chief Pilot on a Citation. I really don't want to go back to the area, but what do you do in a financial crunch like this?

I've tried every avenue possible to reduce my student loan payments to no avail.

any thoughts?

55k for a cheif pilot on a Citation doesn't sound like much money at all! Do they provide a health Package?? Is there more money in the future? If no is the answer for the the last two, I'd stay at my RJ job.

What RJ Company you working with?

Its in the Midwest, so its ok. Health insurance and all. Actually a good deal as far as that's concerned.

Lets just say I'm at one of two that makes up "SureJet"

55k? Seriously?

They are getting a bargain. Our first officers make 90k. Captains 120k to 175k.

a good place to look for your next job

If your profile is correct at 1100 hours I would take the Citation gig if it met three criteria.

A. The money is enough for what your needs are.
B. They type you and you will be logging turbine PIC time.
C. Upgrade at your current job is at least three years away.

Pros of taking the job:

Money problem temporarily solved.
Ability to log Turbine PIC.
Add a type rating.
Expand resume to add corporate experience.

Cons:

Could be a pager slave.
Probably won't log a whole lot of time per year even though it's good quality time.
The money should be more.
Corporate jobs can disappear on very short notice.

If you can upgrade in the reasonably near future stay at the regional. Otherwise I'd take the corporate gig. YMMV. Don't forget, while still not spectacular 2nd year pay even as an FO will be a pretty decent raise, relatively speaking. Can you hang on financially for six more months?

Stay put, that pay is terrible for a chief pilot. Find another way to make the payments

Its in the Midwest, so its ok. Health insurance and all. Actually a good deal as far as that's concerned.

Lets just say I'm at one of two that makes up "SureJet"

Well then you answered your own question. Go fly the CJ for peanuts! But you only have 1100hrs? How can you be a Chief Pilot when you don't even have enough time to be typed in it?

If your profile is correct at 1100 hours I would take the Citation gig if it met three criteria.

A. The money is enough for what your needs are.
B. They type you and you will be logging turbine PIC time.
C. Upgrade at your current job is at least three years away.

Pros of taking the job:

Money problem temporarily solved.
Ability to log Turbine PIC.
Add a type rating.
Expand resume to add corporate experience.

Cons:

Could be a pager slave.
Probably won't log a whole lot of time per year even though it's good quality time.
The money should be more.
Corporate jobs can disappear on very short notice.

If you can upgrade in the reasonably near future stay at the regional. Otherwise I'd take the corporate gig. YMMV. Don't forget, while still not spectacular 2nd year pay even as an FO will be a pretty decent raise, relatively speaking. Can you hang on financially for six more months?

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!!!

Pay depends on the size of the citation. Is it a single pilot small one or a Citation X? Are you going to be the only pilot with a title or will you be a real CP supervising others? 1100 hours total, insurance companies may not like you very much. Also any pt135 involved? Alot to consider my friend. All the best with your decision.

Latest resources

Back