• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Job offer, don't know what to do

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey sorry guys, I haven't updated my profile in a looooonnngg time. I'm at 2500 hours with an ATP right now.

I know the pay is below industry standard for the position, but its what it offers. I see it as a temporary fix to an overwhelming financial burden. Who knows what upgrade time will be. My guess, 3 to 5 years.

Even more so, I've really considered getting out of this career altogether. I absolutely love to fly, but I'm not sure I'm equipped to handle the ups and downs. I made the mistake of getting an aviation degree so if everything goes down the tubes, I'm not marketable for anything else. I'm 26 years old. I'm still young enough to find something different and fly for fun on the side.

Theres a lot riding on this decision, both personally and financially. Its incredibly difficult to put together.

stay where you are at and hustle the loan payments as best as you can. A lot will change for you and this industry in the next year or so and to stick it out would be your best option. If you fall a little behind on the loan payments, what are they gonna do? Not much. Just nurse them along until you upgrade, find side work, or get hired by the majors with age 65 almost over. good luck!

55k? Seriously?

They are getting a bargain. Our first officers make 90k. Captains 120k to 175k.

On a citation? Maybe a X in the Bay Area...

If it's a small citation, low-cost area, and a stable job 55K might not be too bad to start if you get a lot of time off. If you fly a lot or they expect office hours so you're available to do biatch work maybe not such a good deal.

Just to put this out there, many of our FOs can bring in 55K here at Surejet after several years, so that sort of pay for a Citation CP is a little shocking. That said, you'll likely upgrade here before you get to that point though, since the baby boomer exodus may begin within the year.

The real question is whether or not that Citation gig will get you a lot of PIC Turbine time or will you be flying a desk the whole time. May want to figure that out first and then go from there. If your potential employer can give you a reasonable expectation of flying at least 30 hours a month, I'd probably go. But that's just me.

Do yourself a favor. Go to amazon.com, buy and read the book "The total money make over" by Dave Ramsey. Employ all of his tactics, and then fly whatever job gives you a better QOL.

55K for a chief pilot is a joke. Im assuming its a 91 job flying a 500 or SII. Keep in mind that not only will you be flying for this joker, but taking care of maint, training and other tasks. I've seen it a million times. Tread lightly and make sure you know 110% what is expected of you before you commit. Good Luck

On a citation? Maybe a X in the Bay Area...

If it's a small citation, low-cost area, and a stable job 55K might not be too bad to start if you get a lot of time off. If you fly a lot or they expect office hours so you're available to do biatch work maybe not such a good deal.

Ultra. Columbus, OH. 182 days a year max. 3 weeks of vacation. Free medical. 50% match on 401k. ;)

Honestly, I would ask this question in the frac or corporate section of the board. I know that when I flew for an airline, I couldn't tell the difference between a Hawker, X, or Falcon. Many of the corporate pilots have flown for the airlines. Few airline pilots have spent any appreciable time in a Signature Flight Support.

Latest resources

Back