JO Decides Code-Shares Are Better Than Flying Empty in HI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Question for the Mesa guys:
With the EMB-195 order what kind of pay rates are you guys going to be fighting for?? Can we expect something in line with Jet Blue's rates??

PLEASE DONT LET YOUR OWNER LOWER THE BAR FOR US!!!

Premature speculation ? ? ? ?

Erndogg said:
Question for the Mesa guys:
With the EMB-195 order what kind of pay rates are you guys going to be fighting for?? Can we expect something in line with Jet Blue's rates??

PLEASE DONT LET YOUR OWNER LOWER THE BAR FOR US!!!

Actually, our current CRJ900 BASE rates are pretty close to the JetBlue E-190 rates already . . . and since our scale goes up to 20 years (JB only to 12), it's actually tops out higher (Mesa 20 year CRJ 900 top out at $102/hr, 12 year top out at JB at $89/hr ).

Of course, JB has a 150% override for anything over 70 hours, so it's sort of apples and oranges. Oh, and a few people might think that working for JB has other advantages . . . . :rolleyes:

Frankly though, I can tell you that there are many, many, many other issues that our new MEC would rather get fixed before giving a tinkers damn about a pay rate for a couple of jets in Hawaii.

20 years at Mesa?

Soverytired said:
Actually, our current CRJ900 BASE rates are pretty close to the JetBlue E-190 rates already . . . and since our scale goes up to 20 years (JB only to 12), it's actually tops out higher (Mesa 20 year CRJ 900 top out at $102/hr, 12 year top out at JB at $89/hr ).

And how many people stay at Mesa 20 (or even 12) years? And yes it is apples to oranges. Work rules play a huge role in overall compensation.

FF

If things continue in this industry the way they are going, then a 20 year Mesa captain may not be an uncommon thing. Those of the Mesa guys cheering for 737's, E 195's, etc. had better think long and hard about where they want to be when they turn 60.

Above my pay grade, but I ain't gonna cry if it happens.

mdanno808 said:
If things continue in this industry the way they are going, then a 20 year Mesa captain may not be an uncommon thing. Those of the Mesa guys cheering for 737's, E 195's, etc. had better think long and hard about where they want to be when they turn 60.

AMOUNT OF INPUT MESA PILOTS HAVE ON GETTING ANY TYPE A/C ON PROPERTY =

ZERO

If it happens, it happens. And there will be a marginal pay increase. Plus, I think Mesa will be flying its own brand name stateside w/in the next 2-5 years, at least in part. And everyone at flightinfo will scream what a bunch of scumbags Mesa pilots are becasue they have the audacity to work here. This is just a stupid as some of the railing going on about CHQ getting COEX flying . . .those guys have NOTHING to do with those decisions, or about the furloughs that will happen at COEX.

BTW . . . .Right now, there are about 150 pilots at or above the 12 year mark. Maybe a dozen at the 20 year mark. (no, I'm not either . . . thank god!)

Pilot's (via their union) can turn down any pay rate proposal JO put's on the table. So how do you figure that pilot's have no say in what aircraft JO wants you to fly. What if he came with 744 payrates with a 20 year captain making 99 bucks an hour? Are you saying you guys would have no choice but to fly the planes?

BOILERPLATE ("Alpa approved") UNION LANGUAGE 101

mdanno808 said:
Pilot's (via their union) can turn down any pay rate proposal JO put's on the table. So how do you figure that pilot's have no say in what aircraft JO wants you to fly. What if he came with 744 payrates with a 20 year captain making 99 bucks an hour? Are you saying you guys would have no choice but to fly the planes?

First, the company can put any equipment not covered by the CBA on-line at any time, and pay the pilots whatever it wants. But they have to start negotiations for new rates immediately, and those rates will be retroactive.

Second, the pilots can refuse a pay rate proposal that management puts on the table . . . However, this is a temporary solution at best; our current contract states "in the absence of an Agreement (for new equipment pay rates), a mutual request for National Mediation Board assistance will be filed."

So the pilots WILL get a pay rate (via negotiation, or via mediation) one way or the other, whether they want to or not. In that vein, I find it highly unlikely that any mediator would agree to a 20-year 747 rate at 99/hr, to answer your hypothetical.

Can they refuse to fly that equipment? Yes, to a point. They can refuse to bid it, but the company can junior assign pilots to aircraft if no one bids it.

Last edited:
pizza hut delivery is above mesa pay grade...

Soverytired said:
I find it highly unlikely that any mediator would agree to a 20-year 747 rate at 99/hr, to answer your hypothetical.

if anyone still doesnt believe that one pilot groups contract affects another.. ask youself where the mediator would come up with a pay scale if it came down to mediation over a payscale for an aircraft type.

Man, JO has you guys right where he wants you. I guess negotiations and unions are wortheless. Bring on the big jets JO, cause we realize that we will end up flying them one way or another. ALPA should print up some of those stickers for the road shows.

Last edited:
Soverytired said:
Puh-lease. JO has something up his sleeve (I hope). Everyone on the local level is looking at "Go" through their local-issues prism, but only one man has the "big picture.", and really knows what the real reasons are. . . .

One word - E195s.

Just as nice inside as a 737, almost the same load, cheaper seat mile cost. That's the big picture - why the opening salvo with the CRJs I have no idea - but that's the big picture - compete with the E195s and THAT may be some tough competition.

Latest resources

Back