Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jets Still Trapped at Dulles Jet Center?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We've picked up charters from several companies that lost aircraft in the collapse.

Insurance companies and lawyers involved. Won't get done fast.

The historical snowfall that loaded the hangar roofs will be viewed by some as an "act of God". But you're correct about this not being settled fast. Assuming the hangar was not defective and could carry its design loads, I think the fight will center around whether or not the owner of the hangar had a present duty to clear the hangar roof of the snow, thereby preventing the collapse.

If I'm the aircraft owner, I expect my insurance company to pay on the hull claim fairly quickly. Let the hull vs hangar underwriters to duke it out in court.

Not happening, from what I hear the insurance companies are not ponying up anytime soon.

Second hand info, my boss spoke with someone who had his aircraft in the hanger. Apparently the insurance company is playing big time hard ball. They told him that they plan on fixing his aircraft (one of the big jets doing a wheelie). They said that they figured it would cost them somewhere around $15-20 million. If he wanted his money now they were offering something far south of that number. Pretty much 50% of the cost to replace the jet.

Then he discovered a clause in his insurance contract that restricts the number of hours that charter can be flown in a day. It was something ridiculous like one or two hours a day. So a DC to BUR and back charter was for 11 hours and he received something like two hours from the insurance company with a max rate of $5k an hour or $10k.

Not happening, from what I hear the insurance companies are not ponying up anytime soon.

Second hand info, my boss spoke with someone who had his aircraft in the hanger. Apparently the insurance company is playing big time hard ball. They told him that they plan on fixing his aircraft (one of the big jets doing a wheelie). They said that they figured it would cost them somewhere around $15-20 million. If he wanted his money now they were offering something far south of that number. Pretty much 50% of the cost to replace the jet.

Then he discovered a clause in his insurance contract that restricts the number of hours that charter can be flown in a day. It was something ridiculous like one or two hours a day. So a DC to BUR and back charter was for 11 hours and he received something like two hours from the insurance company with a max rate of $5k an hour or $10k.

wow. Sounds like EL CHEAPO insurance policy!

Expensive insurance is always a ripoff until the hangar falls on your 40mil jet.

10k per day times 365 days is 3.6 million. What can you say if the boss sends his personal assistant out for his favorite pizza every day?

It's not your job to make the insurance company happy. Put some (financial) pressure on them to get you what your boss needs.

Confirm what G4G5 says at least as far as hard ball regarding fix VS. pay.

Seems those with an insured value well above current market value are finding the insurance companies quite willing to repair. Gulfstream will sell you a wing set no problem. Bombardier has lots of MLG's. If it takes 3 degrees of rudder trim and your global can't make LAX non-stop anymore, well... that's not what they insured and.... not their problem.

Lawyers are gonna make a killing IMO.

Yesterday I talked to the maintenance manager of one of the involved companies. He said that they it may be months before they get the airplanes out. Apparently engineers are talking about building a structure over the top of the hangar to lift the beams off the airplanes.

Latest resources

Back