Jetblue will slow growth even more

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Heavy Set

(Rewrites first paragraph, updates with growth plan details, profit forecast)

WASHINGTON, July 24 (Reuters) - JetBlue Airways Corp (JBLU.O: Quote, Profile, Research) on Tuesday reported a higher second-quarter net profit and said it would continue to slow growth by deferring some regional jet orders and selling other aircraft.

JetBlue reported net income of $21 million, or 11 cents per share, compared with $14 million, or 8 cents, a year ago.

Wall Street analysts expected earnings of 11 cents per share, according to Reuters Estimates.

Revenue for the quarter was up 19.4 percent to $730 million while fuel expenses decreased 2.8 percent over the same period a year ago to $2 per gallon.

Passenger revenue per available seat mile was up 5.4 percent to 8.46 cents, while costs excluding fuel rose 3.3 percent. Capacity was up 12 percent while passenger traffic rose 13.7 percent.

The company said it would defer 16 Embraer (EMBR3.SA: Quote, Profile, Research) 190 regional jet aircraft originally scheduled for delivery between 2007-2012 to 2013-2015. JetBlue will also sell three Airbus (EAD.DE: Quote, Profile, Research) A320s later this year.

"Slowing capacity growth will allow us to strengthen our balance sheet and facilitate earnings growth," said Dave Barger, who took over as chief executive from David Neeleman in May.

JetBlue stretched deliveries and sold five Airbus jets in 2006.

JetBlue expects to report a third-quarter operating margin between 6 and 8 percent based on an assumed aircraft fuel cost of $2.18 per gallon, net hedges. Pre-tax margin for the quarter is expected between 1 and 3 percent.

JetBlue shares were down 22 cents, or 2 percent, at $11.08 in early trading.

Last edited:
...starting to circle the bowl...

Right...we're making money again, and getting smarter as we grow (albeit, slower), so it must be all over!! That didn't take long...

Last edited:
Growth, even at the lowered rate, is 10% per year.

10 down to 7 E190's -300 seats per year added

5 sold 06 3 sold in 07 320's net +300 seat over last year.

no change in groth for 07...16%

we reduced 190's but sold fewer 320's

will see about next year

190 is now flying 11.2 hrs a day and above 95+% dispatch relibliity...big improvment over 6 months ago

new mods really did work!

10 down to 7 E190's -300 seats per year added

5 sold 06 3 sold in 07 320's net +300 seat over last year.

no change in groth for 07...16%

we reduced 190's but sold fewer 320's

will see about next year

190 is now flying 11.2 hrs a day and above 95+% dispatch relibliity...big improvment over 6 months ago

new mods really did work!

Yeah, but what is the time to Captain with current growth projections? 5 years or more?

In 3 years we have good odds the growth will slow even more. A 5 year time to Captain now might turn into 7+.

...starting to circle the bowl...

Sounds like you guys are too.......

Continental also announced plans to slow 2008 capacity growth to between 3% and 4%, down from earlier projections of 5%-7%.

The airline announced plans to sell 10 Boeing 737-500s to Russian carrier Transaero, with Bloomberg saying the planes are expected to leave Continental's fleet between October 2007 and November 2008. Reuters notes that transaction comes "amid the softening domestic market," adding that Continental is "in discussions to sell another five 737s." Bloomberg writes that Continental "has delayed until 2010 from 2009 the delivery of six 737NG aircraft. It also has moved forward to 2008 from 2009 the delivery of three 737-900ER jets.";)

Yeah, but what is the time to Captain with current growth projections? 5 years or more?

In 3 years we have good odds the growth will slow even more. A 5 year time to Captain now might turn into 7+.

That's still a time frame more attractive than any other Major/National/LCC...

E190 - 2-3 years
A320 - 4-5 years

My airline pays more, my airline is growing faster, my airline will have a sooner upgrade, my girlfriend is prettier than your girlfrined, my dad can beat up your dad. My god! Who the frick cares!

At least this piece of shee(i)t industry we try to earn livings at, is turning around. Let's all be happy for that.

Latest resources

Back