JetBlue Upgrades

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hawkerjock

I have been contacted by JB for an interview August 5th. Much of my decision to go will be based on upgrade times. I have read 1 year for the E190 and 3 years for the A320. With 180 bidding the E190 I can't understand how 1 year upgrades are possible even with the rate at which the E190s will be coming.

Is 1 year for the E190 and 3 years for the A320 still valid and (get your crystal ball) will this be valid for a few more years.

Thank you

Congrats on getting the call. I'll take a stab at your question. I believe around 140ish(maybe 150) bid captain on the 190, and those of us that did not, are locked out for two years. So, I'd say your reference to 1yr. upgrade on the 190 is probably pretty close. 3 yrs. for the 'Bus seems pretty close as well. Good luck!

Do you have a choice?

Remember how the training floats work. Someone has to replace the pilots in training for the 190's before they can be pulled offline from the 320's.

Know some guys at JetBlue and they are not fat on 320 F/O's.

Last edited:
3 years to upgrade on the bus is not likely. 12-14 months upgrade on the E190 is plausible. After the 2 year fence comes down for the initial E190 captains, they will most likely slowly transition back to the left seat of the bus. First batch of E190 captains will start training late August. First revenue flight is October 1st. The most junior bus captain now is around #570 with roughly 50 FOs who could hold captain now but have not bid captain; there are roughly 1100 total pilots.
My guess is if you interview August 5th and get hired, you'll start training around October. With 10 captain upgrades per month on the bus, you're looking at around 5 years to upgrade.
Congratulations on getting the interview, hope you get hired. You can always brain storm after you're offered the job.

Good luck.

Chronic Jetlag, IMHO is accurate on the upgrade times for the bus and the 190.

New hires do get to choose the aircraft they want to go to.

Chronic Jetlag said:
3 years to upgrade on the bus is not likely. 12-14 months upgrade on the E190 is plausible. After the 2 year fence comes down for the initial E190 captains, they will most likely slowly transition back to the left seat of the bus. First batch of E190 captains will start training late August. First revenue flight is October 1st. The most junior bus captain now is around #570 with roughly 50 FOs who could hold captain now but have not bid captain; there are roughly 1100 total pilots.
My guess is if you interview August 5th and get hired, you'll start training around October. With 10 captain upgrades per month on the bus, you're looking at around 5 years to upgrade.
Congratulations on getting the interview, hope you get hired. You can always brain storm after you're offered the job.

Good luck.

I believe the 1st E190 revenue flight has been delayed until November, according to Neeleman's comments on the Q2 webcast. That also extends the fence by a month as well.

i thought the latest CA award went to 612 or something like that? of course that is SEP training.

fletch said:
smokin man, when did you give in to the BLUE side

Back in March. You don't know the power of the BLUE side!!! ;)

Hey Dogwood,

Last night in the pocket session Dave and David said the 190 is a go for Oct still. Or that is what I thought they said.

Smoking Man said:
Back in March. You don't know the power of the BLUE side!!! ;)

Hey Dogwood,

Last night in the pocket session Dave and David said the 190 is a go for Oct still. Or that is what I thought they said.

OK, thanks Smok'n..

The webcast said November. I guess it really doesn't matter in the long run as long s they do it. I'll probably bid it when the fence comes down, so the sooner the better.

Hope you are doing well.

DW

Latest resources

Back