Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue to start hiring later this year...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Based on Cliff's posts here I think he would fit in. Relatively positive with a realistic view of the industry. A word to the wise for anyone though, don't drink the blue kool-aid. It's a decent place to work but you'll quickly realize the blue juice being served smells suspiciously like it comes from the lav- you'll get a lot of nice words about our "values" while c/s shanks you. With the pay changes and the new rigs it's not worth NOT coming here, just don't get blinded by the cult. I'm just sayin...
Excellent points.

And on the topic of eyes-wide-open, don't forget that JetBlue has a relatively young pilot group. A new hire in 2010 will only upgrade to CA when JetBlue doubles in size due to limited retirements. Any new-hire will be an F/O for a very long time, with the associated F/O pay rates, and then the upgrade will eventually occur in the 190. This probably represents a greater than 10-year pay cut for many CRJ/ERJ captains. Think about it: JetBlue is now 10 years old (translation: it took this long to grow to the present size) and JetBlue has been very busy deferring aircraft deliveries.

If that's still interesting to you, then go for it! Just be aware of what you are signing up for and don't be surprised when the grass is not as green as you wished.

Last edited:
Excellent points.

And on the topic of eyes-wide-open, don't forget that JetBlue has a relatively young pilot group. A new hire in 2010 will only upgrade to CA when JetBlue doubles in size due to limited retirements. Any new-hire will be an F/O for a very long time, with the associated F/O pay rates, and then the upgrade will eventually occur in the 190. This probably represents a greater than 10-year pay cut for many CRJ/ERJ captains. Think about it: JetBlue is now 10 years old (translation: it took this long to grow to the present size) and JetBlue has been very busy deferring aircraft deliveries.

If that's still interesting to you, then go for it! Just be aware of what you are signing up for and don't be surprised when the grass is not as green as you wished.
So that is why JetBlue has a flow though with CapeAir. C421CA to E190FO not so bad a deal v CRJ700CA to E190FO for life.

I thought most pilots thought Jetblue management did not know what they were doing.

Maybe its the pilot group that doesn't!

Good posts.

It's easy to get blinded by the stars when you're thinking about your next job. You should always take your next job thinking it very well might be your last step up the ladder.

Gup

Based on Cliff's posts here I think he would fit in. Relatively positive with a realistic view of the industry. A word to the wise for anyone though, don't drink the blue kool-aid. It's a decent place to work but you'll quickly realize the blue juice being served smells suspiciously like it comes from the lav- you'll get a lot of nice words about our "values" while c/s shanks you. With the pay changes and the new rigs it's not worth NOT coming here, just don't get blinded by the cult. I'm just sayin...

That's pretty harsh. Given the choice now, would you have left your regional?

Hi!

I would think they would want 2 hire me. I am extremely adaptable, play very well with others, have done well in all my training (lots), have a positive outlook on life, and, unlike some pilots, I try, almost all the time... no one is perfect!

While there are other organizations I would rather work for, JetBlue would work very well for me and would be WAY better than my current job. If hired at JB I would probably stay until 65 or furlough or CH 7.
If it were up to me, I'd hire ya just because you've survived flying in Africa.;)

That's pretty harsh. Given the choice now, would you have left your regional?

It came off more harshly than I intended.

I absolutely would have left, and would again. My former regional is the same as yours, and frankly it's better being bottom 15 percent here than top 20 percent there (which I was when I left). That's despite me defending the RAH pilots from mindless bashing! We have cancellation pay, rigs, better hotels, and the training here is far better than the checking department that existed there.

Once we finally got the company off it's arse regarding pay (thanks solely to the JBPA drive IMO), my 3rd year FO pay on the 190 here equals or exceeds anywhere from 5-8 yr CA scales on both 50 and 70 seat equipment, and nearly equals Airways' CA pay on the same jet. This is before premium pay is considered. FLICA rocks, and I don't have to wait for J.C's minions to arbitrarily approve or deny my needs... if the grid is green, it goes. (The above points aside, I still believe we need ALPA. Not because I think it's a panacea, but because I want career insurance if we bend metal, get acquired, etc...).

OTOH, the 2-year upgrades and 3-year Bus CA seats are long gone. We're taking 4 190s this year with no 320s, and about 7 of each next year if we don't defer any more Busses. So I'm looking at 4-5 years in the Embraer right seat before I can grab right seat in the Bus, let alone an upgrade. That's with me being about 35 percent in the 190 FO seat. Doing the math a new-hire is looking at 5-7 years minimum as a 190 FO. That's not a bad thing: the flying's pretty varied, the pay is tolerable now, and you can hang out with the stews if that's your thing, but no LGB or FLL for you if that's what you're looking for.

The company still sings a lot of kum-ba-yah but is coasting on it's reputation from 2005, IMHO. Lots of companies have TVs and our JFK agents range from good to truly crummy. In short, I'm a fan of working here, but cautiously so. I'd want anyone coming over to do their due diligence before making the leap.

Last edited:
Not quite that bad

So that is why JetBlue has a flow though with CapeAir. C421CA to E190FO not so bad a deal v CRJ700CA to E190FO for life.

I thought most pilots thought Jetblue management did not know what they were doing.

Maybe its the pilot group that doesn't!

Nah, CRJCA to E190 FO is still going to be a better deal for most guys, unlesss they're sitting on top of Comair's or Eagle's list. Those guys probably aren't applying anyway.

5-8 year 70-seat drivers for just about anywhere else will take a hit first year, be nearly even the second, and start getting ahead the third. Whether one can deal with only 3 stripes is a personal choice, but even in the EJet we hit 97/hr at year 12; which beats Comair, ASA, Eagle, Skywest, and RAH corresponding CA pay before we even start talking premium, rigs, 100 percent DH, etc.

Other factors include commuting to reserve for 2-3 years as a newhire, and dealing with Flight Ops, Scheduling, and Dispatch management that is still maturing. It's definitely a nice feeling flying my own tail, vs worrying over the results of every RFP and CH11 by a major. Conversely, until we have a real scope clause I could get an email tomorrow saying my Ejet job is being operated by Republic. (And yes, we're working on that).

If a new hire was going to be a life long reserve RJ CA then you maybe right.

IMO JetBlue will not grow more than 3% ASM over the next 3-5 years. So a new hire will be on reserve for at least 4 years. We will grow ASMs without new A/C btw.

Again that is my opinion from listening to executive crew and what CSS is meant to do for us which is grow though code sharing utilizing our existing fleet to fly more ASMs.

I don't see a net increase in A320s for a long time.

Better plan on being exactly where you are hired and make sure that will work for the long run.

I'm afraid you're right about the A320 net; the 4th quarter 10Q shows 8 2011 Bus deliveries, but how many will we be selling back? Trust me, I'm looking up from a looong way down the list and it's still a more secure feeling than being in the regional RFP madhouse. Just my 2 cents.

What's reserve life like at JetBlue? Assuming you can drive to work. What are min days off?

Latest resources

Back