• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue reducing to 3 FAs for 5 available Jumpseats

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What is the priority for the cabin jumpseats among OFFLINE PILOTS & FAs? For example lets say both flight deck jumpseats are taken, and an AA pilot and a Delta FA show up at the same time for using the cabin jumpseats? It was my understanding that anyone offline - whether pilot or FA, were all equal priority.

Actually, planes are currently being reconfigured to eliminate one row of seats in front of the exit rows-- which will make the aircraft's capacity 150. 36 inch pitch in front of exit rows (more than some first class) and 34 inch pitch in rear of exit rows. This will also eliminate 1 flight attendant at a total cost savings of 25-30 million over 5 years (that's what they say). No word on removal of swing-out jumpseat (it has safety equipment stored in it), so yes, there will be a total of 3 jumpseats available in back and 2 up in the cockpit. Apparently, Delta has done this also on some of their 737s, but did not move the seats to increase pitch.

That's one way to increase the load factor, reduce the number of seats

I realize you said at the same time, but whoever checked in first would get the fa js if the cabin is full in the senario you described. hopefully all js'ers would make each other known to each other if it came to this and not make the capt decide who got on and who had to wait til the next flight if it came to that.

Priceless!

I work at JB and let me tell you we have purse carrying, makeup wearing, extreme gay inflight running around like rabbits

6 hour transcon 4 dudes ( okay dudettes ) in the back every ten minutes they are calling the front bitching about the rude guy in 24 F with the ZZ Top Shirt that is being mean to them.

Okay Okay In know politically correct

By the way flew a San Juan turn the other day and the plane had been configured with 150 seats.. I am 6 ft 1" and I fit in there real nice.. While it is hard for me to understand how removing revenue seats can make a company more money I will say that the customers will be fighting for the front seats

By the way flew a San Juan turn the other day and the plane had been configured with 150 seats.. I am 6 ft 1" and I fit in there real nice.. While it is hard for me to understand how removing revenue seats can make a company more money I will say that the customers will be fighting for the front seats

I think the real savings is mostly coming from the one less FA per flight.....one less hotel room, one less salary, less benefits, less perdiem times all the flights per day you will see the savings add up...Remember Neelemans thing about the number of employees/aircraft being too high? I think he called it "FTE". This will bring it down.

I think the real savings is mostly coming from the one less FA per flight.....one less hotel room, one less salary, less benefits, less perdiem times all the flights per day you will see the savings add up...Remember Neelemans thing about the number of employees/aircraft being too high? I think he called it "FTE". This will bring it down.

Its a fine line trying to balance revenue generation/casm to passenger comfort.

Historically, what did you have?
Pack 'em in like sardines.... More revenue and lower CASM.

After we pulled the one row out reducing from 162 to 156... the line was substantially blurred. Now with the focus on raising fares with the expected decrease in load factors.. .this was pretty much written on the wall.

But even after all that... the company said it would "save" $30 million over five years??? Those are "fudged" numbers since I don't think they really know what it would "cost". The opportunity cost of lost revenue is THE big question mark. The only costs that would be iron clad would be the flight attendant costs mentioned previously and some fudged cost for fuel savings for the weight reduction.

Who knows....??
Others have tried pulling seats out...
Not too successfully...

What is the priority for the cabin jumpseats among OFFLINE PILOTS & FAs? For example lets say both flight deck jumpseats are taken, and an AA pilot and a Delta FA show up at the same time for using the cabin jumpseats? It was my understanding that anyone offline - whether pilot or FA, were all equal priority.

Offline pilots and FAs are on a "first come-first serve" for all of the seats (regular or jumpseats). There is no distinction between FAs or pilots on this list. The first few jumpseaters will get regular seats if available (maybe all if there are enough), then they will start handing out the jumpseats.

FNG

Who knows....??
Others have tried pulling seats out...
Not too successfully...

My guess is you'll see an additional charge for those "premium" seats. We (Allegiant) pulled seats out to get from 162 to 150 a couple years ago.

Obviously we're flying a different type of service than JB, but with rock bottom fares, this is a great way of getting extra revenue. People will pay an extra 10-15 bucks to get those seats and that revenue, added to the 1 less FA will equal a lot of money.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back