Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue Quality of life compared to regional?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't get fatigued here like I did at ASA. We do have some issues like the master Longhorn said...and we, like everyone else, will have to wait for a jetway driver, last minute bags, jerky pushbacks...yada yada...BUT...I'll take those same issues here than anywhere else and definately over my last seat at ASA. 5 legs at ASA was rough compared to here. The CRJ200 and ATR wouldn't cool off worth a damn, but you could hang meat in the 190.

The ONLY thing I have an issue with is our pay. Yes, I knew the deal coming here, but as the dust has settled over the last 12 months...it's been wicked hard...about a $25,000 pay cut from my 9yr capt pay at ASA. As Longhorn mentioned, all our seats NEED a pay bump...and I hope to god we get it.

If you do make the jump brother, definately trim off some financial fat. I did a bunch and am still so razor thin and sliding backwards slightly.

G'luck man.

No comparison to my regional job. Even on reserve my QOL was much better here, and I spent more time on reserve than most. Same comments as everybody else that the health benefits could be better yadda yadda yadda. No regrets whatsoever. Good luck with the decision.

I'll second everything that Longhorn said. I also was a LCA at one of the better regionals and I found that reserve on the bus in JFK was a better QOL than what I had at my regional. I do an offline commute too.

The one thing that I wasn't expecting and no one told me about JetBlue was the amount of night flying we do. As a junior dude on the bus, you might think the UPS/Fedex guys are getting more sleep than you are. Once you get off reserve, you can bid around the stuff with a fair amount of ease. On the other hand... it is VERY productive. I'm about 50% up FO list in JFK, I come to work 3 times a month, 15-16 days off, and about 90 hours of credit per month.

I bid about 37% in jfk and i get 85-90 hrs with 17-19 days off. When i construct my bid i bid good 4 day trips to avoid the crash pad.

red eyes suck but after a few months you will be able to adjust your body to rest. I usually wake early and find an activity that lasts a few hrs ( golf, climb a mountain, work out ) gets 4-5 hrs sleep and fly the leg. Honestly if you can do it the wear and tear is not that bad. I usually limit my month to 2 red eyes.

Overall a great job, great people, pay needs to improve.

Great posts so far...definite improvement over Regional QOL...EXCEPT...

HEALTH CARE!

My healthcare costs have tripled since coming to JetBlue. And my prescription costs....through the roof. What used to cost me $10-$15 a month now costs $350 every three months. That's a TENFOLD increase in my prescription costs.....

I just find it incredibly sad that a thread even exists comparing a major airline's QOL to a regional's.

Shouldn't it be a given that your QOL should improve when changing from Regional to Major? It speaks volumes that it's even brought up....:rolleyes:

Wow, an entire thread and I'll be damned if I can find any sense of sarcasm, off-topic or idiotic bashing.

Oops. :D

Great posts so far...definite improvement over Regional QOL...EXCEPT...

HEALTH CARE!

My healthcare costs have tripled since coming to JetBlue. And my prescription costs....through the roof. What used to cost me $10-$15 a month now costs $350 every three months. That's a TENFOLD increase in my prescription costs.....

I just find it incredibly sad that a thread even exists comparing a major airline's QOL to a regional's.

Shouldn't it be a given that your QOL should improve when changing from Regional to Major? It speaks volumes that it's even brought up....:rolleyes:

In my first two full years at JB, I spent enough on health care (with dental) for a family of four to actually claim a tax deduction based on the 7.5% AGI test. THAT's how bad our health care is.

$314 a month for family coverage (incl dental) and that's just for premiums. $800 deductible, $1800 out of pocket cap (I think -- correct me if I am wrong), plus the copays for prescriptions.

Not very pretty.

Latest resources

Back