Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jetblue Pilots - You have to clean the cabin?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
:cool:
Just reviewed the current and proposed contract/agreement (call it what you want) between pilots and JB.
Cleaning is NOT part of the pilot duties.

Web site statement "must assist with light cleaning" is an unfortunate choice of words and should be changed to reflect reality. Flight Crew may help if time/work load permit.

Last edited:
When will pilots begin to realize enough is enough. Cleaning the cabin further degrades this profession plain and simple. What's next loading bags and fueling as well, time permitting. Give me a break, you blue drinkers make me sick. I don't see this trend stopping until the flight attendent pay scale exceeds the pilots. At this rate it won't be long.

Last edited:
At JFK, for example, aircraft are cleaned by professional cleaners on RON's and Redeye flights. On the other flights, the Lavs are cleaned by professional cleaners and the customer service agents are the ones working the vaccum cleaners. Flight Attendants pick up trash and fold seat belts. Flight crew assist if time permits.

My take on the situation is that if I can offer 5 minutes of my time to help keep the plane on schedule then I will help out. I remember multiple times when I was at brand x airline waiting to board passengers because the "cleaners" had not serviced the aircraft yet which caused a departure delay.

The requirement for pilots to clean is not in any of my manuals as part of my responsibility nor was it listed on my application. I can only imagine that making it a requirement will somehow hinder the teamwork atmoshpere at JB. Until that time, I will continue to help voluntarily when I can.

Mike

SWAdude said:
I believe the application is a legal document that could be used in a termination case. It may not be in your manuals but this is equally expected of the pilots. . .
Wrong. Only the information provided and attested to by an applicant (flight times, education, experience, etc.) on the application can be held against them should it be found fraudulant during the course of a background check (this is a function of the PRIA). The application is not a binding contract between 2 parties (it is an unsigned document). That is why you sign a contract after an offer of employment is made, not before. What is then contained in the manuals and signed contract defines an individuals job expectations and responsibilites.

Red

You guys are trying hard to achieve that heartattack. Gotta get it.

dlredline said:
Wrong. Only the information provided and attested to by an applicant (flight times, education, experience, etc.) on the application can be held against them should it be found fraudulant during the course of a background check (this is a function of the PRIA). The application is not a binding contract between 2 parties (it is an unsigned document). That is why you sign a contract after an offer of employment is made, not before. What is then contained in the manuals and signed contract defines an individuals job expectations and responsibilites.

Red

Times may have changed in todays environment of on-line applications but the only thing I signed was the application and that is the fact with the other 5 airlines I worked for. And in the application was the agreement of following the company policies. I never had to sign any contracts other than the application. At JB this could have been a wrong statement. But at other companies it may not.

No matter how you guys paint this, and it doesn't make you any less of a professional, you are expected to help with the cleaning of the aircraft. If some have a problem with this task, I can accept that also.

To each their own.

SWAdude :cool:

SWAdude said:
. . . I never had to sign any contracts other than the application. . .
Perhaps that is because at SWA (and your previous carriers) you were bound by a collectively bargained agreement between your representative agency (SWAPA in this case) and your company. I was under the same situation at my previous carriers. Irregardless, an online application is not a contractual employment agreement, trust me on this.

Good discussion, though.

Best to ya!

Red

dlredline said:
Perhaps that is because at SWA (and your previous carriers) you were bound by a collectively bargained agreement between your representative agency (SWAPA in this case) and your company. I was under the same situation at my previous carriers. Irregardless, an online application is not a contractual employment agreement, trust me on this.

Actually only one other airline I worked for had a union at the time. And working under a collective bargaining agreement and company policy are two completely different things.

I do agree that with online applications that things have probably changed but somewhere there has to be an agreement that was signed that you follow all of the companies policies and that all of the information on the application is true.

SWAdude :cool:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back