Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jetblue Pilots - You have to clean the cabin?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't most major airlines have cabin cleaners that come on and clean up all that stuff?
I thought F/As didn't do that.

Like most places, there are things that you don't want to do....but have to to fit in.

Les Paul said:
A simple question about required Jetblue pilot duties elicits a unsolicited generic assumption from you that many pilots are not "nice". Maybe that perception about pilots not being nice is indicative of your peers attitude around you. Maybe there is a reason for this?

To the topic at hand....... as far as this being required duties for Jetblue pilots, that is fine IF the total compensation of Jetblue pilots reflected this obvious cost cutting measure by management. However, with the already ridiculous low compensation package and benefits at Jetblue, this is nothing less than the further lowering of the bar for all airline industry pilots.

Les Paul
I'll bet your probably furloughed from a "Legacy Carrier". I'll tell ya, it's nice to work for a company that doesn't have the attitude of "it's us vs. management". Let me ask you a question.....Is your airline making money or do you worry everyday about getting furloughed.

Besides it's good exercise:)

Last edited:
Before you know it the JetBlue pilots will be throwing bags, working the ticket counter and refueling their own airplanes, but hey, it's fun!! Oh, that was People's Express!

Enjoy

holdon said:
I'll bet your probably furloughed from a "Legacy Carrier". I'll tell ya, it's nice to work for a company that doesn't have the attitude of "it's us vs. management". Let me ask you a question.....Is your airline making money or do you worry everyday about getting furloughed.

Besides it's good exercise:)
Another discount carrier genius with access to a keyboard, trying to participate. You can get hurt feelings all you want..... my point is still just as valid.

Lets start by trying to figure out your "response". First you make the predictive assumption that I am furloughed and then you make statement (in the form of a question) about whether I worry about being furloughed. Tsk ....Tsk...

I am not furloughed. Fortunately for me, I've been doing this profession (you DO still consider this a profession....right?) for alot longer than you, and I would have to move over one seat, and down alot of numbers to be unfortunate enough to lose my job.... but please... don't let facts interfere with your self entitled rationalization.

Next, it is unbelievable that MANY of the low cost bafoons on this website gloat and support their position with posts at the expense of furloughed peers. That is something that most decent professional pilots will never forget about some of the "anonymous" posters around here. Please remember this a few years from now... I will be around to remind you....

Second... how about addressing the actual validity of my original statement. My position is that YOU are lowering the bar in this (our) profession by allowing management to NOT compensate YOU for the costs saved by making "house keeping" part of your job DESCRIPTION.

Les Paul

Get use to it, it is the way of the world. In corporate I don't have to clean up the cabin or windex the windows but someone has to put the pins in, get the covers on yada yada. If I get done early, I am not going in the FBO and watch TV until the aircraft is clean. We pitch in and help.

This is the way it is. I don't have it written in my job description nor will anyone say a thing if I can't help but you are part of a team and it's all part of playing nice in the sand box.

My question is: If you don't do it and it is part of your job description could you be terminated if you don't do it(consistantly)? While I am all for doing it, having it in black and white is a completly different thing. Is this something that the CP could call you in for?

Do you get to keep the half-eaten bag of chips, or the mildly sucked-on M&M? You know what they say, one man's trash is anothers treasure!

Last edited:
TonyC said:
Let me add my endorsement to the sentiment that it's a nice thing to do, pitch in and help your coworkers when you can. Having said that, I am reminded of every time this subject comes up, pilots ADAMANTLY proclaim that cleaning the cabin is NOT required, they just do it because they WANT to - - makes the airline more productive, makes the FA's happier, etc., etc., etc.

Yet here we have it in black and white, straight from the JetBlue website.

ALL CREWMEMBERS MUST ASSIST . . .

What say ye, blue bus drivers?
My first reaction? Disappointment that someone found it necessary to write it into the job listing. I mean, what's next? "Pilots are required to act politely"? "Pilots at JetBlue are expected to wear a watch"? "Pilots are expected to wear deodorant to avoid alarming JetBlue Customers"?

That said, it doesn't really change anything. I never got a memo saying that cleaning the cabin was a required part of my job. It's not in any manual, or the SOP, or in any official documentation. I clean when I have a chance, I don't when I don't. And nobody is going to comment either way. Certainly you're not going to see a pilot hauled in for not cleaning. Jeez, who cares?

My guess is that the line was put in the job listing to weed out the prima donnas who are averse to getting their hands dirty. If they shy away from such work, then we don't need them.

TonyC said:
Let me add my endorsement to the sentiment that it's a nice thing to do, pitch in and help your coworkers when you can. Having said that, I am reminded of every time this subject comes up, pilots ADAMANTLY proclaim that cleaning the cabin is NOT required, they just do it because they WANT to - - makes the airline more productive, makes the FA's happier, etc., etc., etc.

Yet here we have it in black and white, straight from the JetBlue website.

ALL CREWMEMBERS MUST ASSIST . . .

What say ye, blue bus drivers?
Well, at the risk of starting a firesstorm, I will still proclaim that it is not required. Like BlueDude said in response to your query, it is not listed in any manual or directive. Yes, I followed the thread in the originating post and there it was, as you said, in black and white. As far as I can see, that is a listing of the job description for a FO new hire at Jetblue on our website. If you want to be literal about it, which if memory serves me correctly, you are a stickler for literal translations, then I guess since I was already hired as a Captain and it is not listed on my job description in my official work agreement, I guess I am off the hook, right?

Well, it may pain you and the others here that think we are lowering the bar, but I still do it when time permits (which is most of the time) and it works wonders for building the morale of my crew. And when the passengers see me and inquire, I often tell them that I just fly the plane to keep my fingers limber for my cleaning job. It usually gets a laugh and/or a wink.

And as an added bonus, I have found 2 issues of Golf Digest in the past week!!

C yaaa

Does this mean that there are no cleaners other than the crew on board?
What does the cabin look like after a 5 hr transcon?
What about the lavatories?
Just curious...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back