Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

johnny taliban

Okay folks,

got a real hum dinger for ya. Is the name JetBlue or jetBlue? I just filled out there online app and I will feel pretty silly if I can't even get their name right.

Thanks,
Johnny

Depends if it is at the beginning of a sentence or not.

"jetBlue" is the uncapitalized way of spelling the company name. It really doesn't matter though. I think most people don't know that unless they had read about how the name was actually developed back when the company was founded.

My avatar has it spelled this way too, and this is an actual photo of a tailfin.

Chaz

From what i understand, jetBlue is the registered trademark for the company, you know, the symbol that has the little circled "R" next to it. If you are just writing about the company, it's JetBlue.

Disruptions of the English Language

I have a certain distaste for the incorrect English some airline folks use. It of course should be Jet Blue, not jetBlue. Southwest does that too, with unbelievable intentional misspellings in their press releases, stuff like "checkin" instead of "check in" and Random capitalizations Of proper Nouns Like "Employee".

But the most confusing was listening to a Jet Blue jetBlue JetBlue webcast of earnings a year or so ago and hearing the CEO talk about "crewmembers" when he meant "employees"--he was talking about the number being added or something and the math didn't work out, until I realized that he had democratized the whole airline and promoted everyone, willy-nilly to "crewmember", which might have made sense in the late-night planning sessions of how to make a perfect airline, but just confuses the rest of the world, since "crewmember" has a meaning in the airline industry, a different one from "employee". In the end, it just sounds weird and a bit Orweillian, like changing the language is going to change the people actually doing the work, double-ungood.

Make sure you wear your "flair" team member!

Ted and Song haven't abused the language quite so outrageously, but I keep waiting for the shoe to drop.

Fredflyer is very close to the "real" answer.

According to the official company "style guide," The "jetBlue" moniker is for advertising use only and is an attempt to brand the image.

All correspondence is to use the normal "JetBlue" spelling.

Now, off to some other weighty matter of importance...

Radarlove and Fredflyer are both right.

Remember that the airlines are selling a product/service. Hey, when you sell something, you gotta tell people about it. Meaning, you must market what you sell. That's all jetBlue/JetBlue is doing here.

Our consumer-driven economy is rife with examples of "branding," both overdone and subtle. Marketing is insidious and, when done properly, effective and memorable. That's what JB is trying to do here.

johnny taliban said:
Okay folks,

got a real hum dinger for ya. Is the name JetBlue or jetBlue? I just filled out there online app and I will feel pretty silly if I can't even get their name right.

Thanks,
Johnny

All the above postings are correct, which doesn't answer your question but gives you a run down of marketing techniques.

In correspondence to JetBlue, you should spell it just like that, capital Jet capital Blue. The spelling "jetBlue" is a registered trademark and we were advised a while back (we being JetBlue employees or "crewmembers" take your pick) that we should not use the registered trademark in personal or non-official correspondence, electronic or otherwise. If you use the trademark, you are in essence representing the company officially and that is not a good idea unless you are authorized to act in that capacity.

Hope that helps.

C yaaaaa

Latest resources

Back