JetBlue Newhire QOL/Pay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TDK90

With hiring a possibility, what would the QOL be like for a new hire? Specifically:

1. Would be commuting from ORD, commuting to reserve ok or pretty tough?

2. What could you realistically expect to net 1st yr?

3. What does a reserve schedule on the E190 look like?

4. Would you leave the left seat of a CRJ to come to JetBlue right now?

5. What are realistic hiring mins?

Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
With hiring a possibility, what would the QOL be like for a new hire? Specifically:

Thanks for the info.

1. Can't speak for ORD, but junior reserve is not so good.

2. 40k

3. 12 off max

4. Probably not? Depends on if you ever want to see that left seat again.

5. Hard to say.

Thanks for the info.

I hope that one of the blue juicers answers this question for you. Especially number 4.

As of today, we are only hiring 24 this year. If you're not in the pool, then your chances are pretty slim. They are all going to the 190. Maybe we will interview this Fall, but that would be for 2010 classes. I think too many things will happen between now and 2010. I could try to answer your questions, but they will more than likely have a different answer by the time you interview with us.

Sorry for not being much help.

1. Can't speak for ORD, but junior reserve is not so good.

2. 40k

3. 12 off max

4. Probably not? Depends on if you ever want to see that left seat again.

5. Hard to say.

I have to disagree with #1. i'm in the bottom 5issh. BOS based 190. You can write off the weekends! I commute 3-4 times a month from fla. and spend 9-12 days in the crashpad/on trip. The hollidays were not so easy to get off, but i did get thanksgiving +2days on either side. I spend 6-9 days at home on long call. The long call sys. works well for me. 14hr callout. I acctually like being on rsv. If I can get MCO I doubt I will ever hold a line. You need to pay attention and anticipate skrew schedulings lack of timlyness... is that a word? They can be late on getting the schedule out and that sucks if you have an early show in the morning.

New hire pay is $40/hr. I have yet to break guarantee much less see 50hrs in a month. Don't plan on getting rich, but if you spend your time doin something else, life not sooo bad.

I left the left seat of an erj. and my QOL is much better than it has ever been and I left a respectable rj operation.

Upgrades could be hard to come by in the near future I would guess 5+ years.... who knows.

We got our problems, but who doesn't. Lots will depend on the union vote in the process right now. There will be changes one way or another...

Good Luck, I think it was worth the jump.

Last edited:
6. Any chance you will vote to stop wearing flight attendant blouses?

6. Any chance you will vote to stop wearing flight attendant blouses?

rumor was you enjoyed cross dressing.....

or was that just pantyhose?

TDK,

As a former JetBluer (now at NJA), I will give you my perspective on the matter.

First off, JetBlue is a great place to work. The crews are fun and you will enjoy going to work (well unless there's an IROP).

I think a lot will depend on your personal situation (duh).

For me, as the sole provider for a family of four, I couldn't pass up an offer from NJA once the new contract came around. My take home pay is significantly higher now, even more so when you factor in free medical/dental and no commuting expenses. Be sure to compare your current medical plan with JetBlue's and factor that into the financial picture. If my wife worked and had good benefits, that may have changed my decision.

As far as #4, it depends. I think most guys there will tell you it will be a long long time before you see the left seat of the Bus. As it stands now, the Bus growth rate is basically nil (always subject to change) and with no significant retirements for 15-20 years, you can do the math. It will easily be 10+ years before you would be a line holding Captain. If you want to be the junior reserve Capt at JFK that may decrease the time slightly. I don't know about the 190 (obviously it will be less). Having said that, the upgrade time was not a significant factor in my decision (it's going to be a long time at NJA as well).

Nobody knows what the future holds. If (when?) JBPA gets up and running, how will that change things? In the short term, I definitely made the right decision to leave JB, but ask me again in 10 years and I may have a different answer (I hope not...:)).

To add to Dudemizes post as a former 8 year fractional pilot coming to Jetblue was the right decision for me.

I was fortunate enough to come here while we were hiring like crazy while senior guys were taking recall at other airlines. (One month I remember 20 guys senior to me left and 40 were hired behind me. )

I currently sit at 30% as a 320 FO on the bus. After a year I was holding 190 capt ( 2 year equip lock)

I can get 2 weekends off, nearly all trips commutable, and average 17 days off a month when you figure in the commutability it adds probably 2 full days at home.

I just went on year 4 pay and this will be the first year that my pay is positive over my last job. I will make approximately $90,000 based on flying 90 hours per month with a blended rate of $84 per hr and a retirement contribution by the company of 10% or $9000.

I typically bid for 80-85hrs per month and then swap in the windows for 90 hrs. this will usually give me a typical 4day on 3 day off schedule and when my sked is built i will typically have a 7-9 day off continuous block somewhere in the month. Which is great if you want to unwind of gives you an opportunity to pick up an extra trip to put you at the max per month.

Lets say you are year 4 on the bus and want to flica like a madman to max out every month at 100 hrs you will make $105,000 and about $115k if you add the 401k contribution.

HERE ARE Conservative REAL NUMBERS FOR A NEW HIRE 190 FO. Add 10% to numbers for retirement contribution

YEAR 1 RESERVE: $37,200
Year 2 Junior Lineholder: $54,203 (80hrs per mo)
Year 3 LH $58,439 ( 82hrs per mo)
Year 4 LH $65k to $69k

Year 5 bid A320 FO $87,823 ( 85 hrs) 110,000 (100 hrs)

Year 10 A320 FO $96,970 ( 85 hrs ) $120,537 (100 hrs)

I have a friend junior 190 FO about 10 from the bottom and he bids 6 day reserve blocks. He will typically get 1-2 days of long call at home and gets long call on the last day typically so actually only goes to work for 3 days.

As far as schedule I would never want to go back to corporate/fractional. I can't even begin to tell you how nice it is to look at the calendar with the wife and pick the days that i need off. Unless you are asking for every weekend off even a junior reserve should be able to get needed days off.

Our Health Insurance is in need of major improvement. I had a baby this year and came $2000 out of pocket. Dental covers $1500 per year per person max. Had a crown done cost $1675

2 kids got sick both needed shots and prescriptions with 2 office visits et al spent $425

Prescriptions: some hokey mail order bullcrap generic drug thing that is a waste.

there is one person " VS " that has been the vp of benefits and not a person in this company has anything good to say about him. He along with another VP have been fired so regardless of the union vote I do expect to see some improvements in pilot benefits short term.

I would say that even on reserve your QOL will be superior to your regional. I ride the jumpseat nearly exclusively to commute and some of the schedules that I see are just horrible.

Also ask yourself how secure is your current regional?

I dont have a crystal ball but I can say that JB has been very successful in the last year positioning this airline.

We retired nearly $700,000,000 in debt for pennies on the dollar, raised nearly 1 billion in additional revenue and have all financing secured for the next 24 months on aircraft deliveries. We can still adjust our fleet as necessary due to the growth of neelemans azul in brazil vs other airlines having to park in the desert.

Management has shown willingness to grow on international routes and I would expect to see nearly 5-10 more carribean/samerica routes in the next year or two. Large cabin long haul is even a distinct possibility ( no i am not starting a rumor)

All in all in my opinion JB is well positioned among peers and has some incredible efficiencies. Just like any airline we have our issues and if you look at the facts and come here without any blue juice you will enjoy this job.

Latest resources

Back