Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Texasskicker

Flexjet and Dang proud
MSNBC showed footage that a passenger shot using a camcorder DURING THE BRACE PROCEDURE for the emergency landing of the now famous Jetblue flight in LAX.

FAA, NTSB...HELOOOOO? Please pick up on this!!!

Apparently there were several NBC employees onboard the aircraft. I believe it was one of them that had a camcorder in his hand, rolling while they landed.

"All portable electronic devices must be turned off and completely stowed for landing."

Some astute FA's will add, "That means anyting with an on-off switch."

Most passengers are clueless. They dont know a "good landing" from a controlled crash, a Great Pilot from an average Joe Shmoe just using the autoland.

Nobody gets that the PF wasted 3000+ feet of good tarmac trying to grease the landing thereby jeopardizing safety. Not MSNBC, certainly not most of the general public.

This video footage illustrates a problem, and I hope someone gets it.

Twisted logic or a blue coup?

JetBlue's Bumpy Landing
The cheap chic airline skirts disaster to come out strong on the tarmac.

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]By Rick Aristotle Munarriz[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Motley Fool[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Updated: 9:29 a.m. ET Sept. 22, 2005[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Unless you had gone cold turkey on the boob tube yesterday, odds are that you are already familiar with the fate of JetBlue(Nasdaq: JBLU) flight 292. Faulty landing gear forced the crew into a successful emergency landing in Los Angeles after circling around for three hours to consume the fuel inside the Airbus A320 aircraft. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The interesting tidbit here is that many of the passengers didn't realize the gravity of their situation until they saw themselves on the television monitors perched in front of their seats. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]That's because JetBlue offers a selection of live DirecTV(NYSE: DTV) televised programming for every passenger. This could have been an ugly disaster, but it wound up being a pretty decent plug for JetBlue. The only thing missing was a testimonial praising the carrier's cozy leather seats as a way to make the tenuous hours go by before the flight hit the runway. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]JetBlue is a low-coast carrier, but it certainly doesn't act that way. In addition to DirecTV, the company has partnered with XM Satellite Radio(Nasdaq: XMSR) to provide digital radio streams in-flight. As a satisfied customer, I can also vouch for the decent assortment in onboard complimentary snacks. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]No, I'm not suggesting that JetBlue took advantage of this potentially catastrophic situation to pitch its wares. However, hearing frazzled passengers discuss the surreal situation of watching their fate unfold on live television can't be a bad thing for JetBlue. Who knows? Maybe this will pique the interest of lifelong Southwest(NYSE: LUV) passengers and spur them to try its thrifty rival. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]JetBlue can use the boost. The company was growing nicely -- in a very ugly sector -- until 2004 came around and the company posted lower earnings during every single quarter. Now its streak of quarterly profitability is at stake. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]With its stock trading at more than 60% off its all-time highs back in the summer of 2003, this would certainly be an interesting time to approach the stock if one felt that the operating lull were temporary. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]That's because the company keeps growing. It has its Airbus aircraft and new fleet of Embraer(NYSE: ERJ) jets ready to continue the expansion process. Since the stock peaked two summers ago, revenue has soared by 80%. Getting operating margins in line to the point where they can keep up with the company's top line gains would likely result in some superior stock market gains. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As fate would have it, last week's Dueling Fools looked at the bull and bear opinions on JetBlue. With the arguments and rebuttals from both camps, you get the sense that this is a pretty dynamic company going through some growing pains. After 18 straight quarters of profitability, higher jet fuel prices and a turbulent travel industry will test JetBlue's resolve. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If the company's operating skills are as good as the crack crew of the 292 that landed the troublesome airplane, it will be another safe landing for JetBlue, sparks and all. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Both JetBlue and Embraer have been past equity recommendations inMotley Fool Stock Advisor.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Longtime Fool contributor Rick Munarriz has enjoyed the two JetBlue flights that he has taken. He does not own shares in any company mentioned in this story. The Fool has a disclosure policy. He is also part of theRule Breakersnewsletter research team, seeking out tomorrow's ultimate growth stocks a day early.[/font]

Texasskicker said:
Nobody gets that the PF wasted 3000+ feet of good tarmac trying to grease the landing thereby jeopardizing safety. Not MSNBC, certainly not most of the general public..

Combined they didn't use TR's or GLD's.... (for a good reason)

It was noticed, but it is ingrained in our heads to touchdown with that greaser mentality.... A firm touchdown on the 1000ft marker is considered "unskilled"

The main wheel brakes worked, combined with the cyclops brake upfront, allowed the aircraft to be slowed....

They did well so let em enjoy it......

Texasskicker said:
Nobody gets that the PF wasted 3000+ feet of good tarmac trying to grease the landing thereby jeopardizing safety. Not MSNBC, certainly not most of the general public.

I hate snapperheads second guessing things before they think them through.

He didn't use spoilers because he was trying to keep the nose gear as light as possible.....since the spoilers were not armed, a very soft landing was required to keep the airplane from ballooning and thereby eating up even more runway.

Why do you think they used the longest piece of concrete around?

I take it you have never landed a spoiler equipped airplane with them disarmed? Any kind of firm hit runs the risk of bouncing. Looks to me that they thought it through carefully and executed exactly what they intended.

It's interesting that the folks who used their cell phones on flight 93 are considered heroes, but the folks who recorded the events on the Jet Blue landing a few days ago are idiots because they used a cam corder.

This should get you fired up, texas. They also notified their company on their blackberry about the events as they were unfolding...that's how MSBNC knew.

For the coverage, they did a great job. It was handled professionally. Al Haynes was contacted and gave the commentary through the touchdown and the video replays afterward...you couldn't ask for a cooler or more experienced and professional hand to do that, if you tried. And he did it well.

As for the crew...they got down and got stopped. Everybody walked away. Minimal damage occured to the aircraft. It looked picture perfect on national television. Other than Jet Blue for the cost of replacing a defective gear, everybody wins...and Jet Blue wins because it turned out so well, too.

You're shocked that media representatives would try to sneak some footage about a media grabbing event? I'm shocked that you're shocked. Get over it.

The whole thing was a public relations media success, and if anything, serves to bolster public confidence in the industry. That's a good thing, and it was handled extremely well throughout the show. Some people will look for an excuse to whine about anything, apparently.

Lol

avbug said:
It's interesting that the folks who used their cell phones on flight 93 are considered heroes, but the folks who recorded the events on the Jet Blue landing a few days ago are idiots because they used a cam corder.

You're shocked that media representatives would try to sneak some footage about a media grabbing event? I'm shocked that you're shocked. Get over it.

The whole thing was a public relations media success, and if anything, serves to bolster public confidence in the industry. That's a good thing, and it was handled extremely well throughout the show. Some people will look for an excuse to whine about anything, apparently.

I have to laugh out loud at this discussion.

I for one remember Lester Holt in the summer of 2000 in his piece on the effect of portable electronic devices on flight safety. As I recall, the jist was the effect cell phones and other devices have on the aircraft navigation systems.

Six years hence, how much safer are we?

Forget the fact that an instruction from a flight crew member is legally binding. Unlike the mandatory evacuation order in Texas that isnt really legally binding according to some experts, an instruction from a flight crew member IS!

Avbug, you are encouraging passengers to disregard the instructions of flight crew. Furthermore, you are condoning something that is contrary to flight safety, IE: using blackberry devices and the like in flight, despite contrary instructions. The FAA and the airlines themselves would take issue with your philosophy, Mr Bug, as has one of MSNBC's own.

Use of a camcorder during an emergency poses its own set of hazards. Delaying an EVAC would be one of them, as some bozo concentrates on where his lense is pointed rather than getting himself, or better yet, helping someone else get out of the aircraft.

I think Tex has a valid point. What are you whining about, Avbug?

Last edited:
So here you are jane passenger, sitting there listen to the F/A tell you how to get ready for a crash landing, watching your fate playout on TV in front of you...with all these stupid comments and worse case situations being discussed by the so called experts....of course the news media would not try to sensationalize (sp?) these events...

I for one believe that the TV's on JB, sould be able to block out the news channels...play movies or something to keep the passengers calm....I am sure we will see some new policies on JB with they have an on board emergency in the future....

Anybody here think of that scene in "airplane" where the passengers are watching that airline crash (the old 707 low-combustible fuel test) on the big screen. That was the first thing that came to my mind is that wrong?

Like JB or not is really irrelevant, the flight crew did a great job.

Latest resources

Back