• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jetblue Major Airline Prep Course Open For Business

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Never in uniform in front of customers and only then when pilot duties are finished. Nothing chaps me more about this than when the pilots are too busy scooping seat backs to finish up their own post-flight, to include getting their stuff out of the cockpit for the next crew.
Me,too.
A customer will never see me in blue gloves.
My crap is out of the cockpit, ASAP.
AND ALL my garbage...
That said, many of the inflight in my (small) base are my friends. I have known them for 10+ years.
I will help them, and all the other FAs, after my job is done, the pax are off, and I'm not running for my commute. It's not degrading, it's human.
THAT said, if they come on and don't even say hello (JFK mostly), roll their eyes when I ask them to not "Facebook" as we brief, and give me (Captain) attitude, then they have drawn the line.
I'm second generation 121. PIC means something to me, mostly because the PIC is RESPONSIBLE and with that comes AUTHORITY. Not that I'm royalty, I take ALL input, but Gate Agents and FAs giving me orders?
They don't understand 121 PIC?
F***k, them, they're on their own.

Last edited:
"To cut costs and encourage efficiency, PeoplExpress made every owner-employee a "manager". By eliminating traditional barriers to productivity and easing formalities, the company hoped employees would serve their customers better. This strategy raised morale but caused confusion and actually hurt productivity...The FAA eventually made PeoplExpress add more conventional uniforms to make the flight crew more identifiable to passengers."

"The military-style jacket and pilot's cap and the pilot's bars that hark back to the role of ship captain just wouldn't send the right message, (Ann) Rhoades thought. JetBlue pilots would instead wear bright-blue short sleeved shirts, which made them look more like bus drivers, but perhaps that was the point."

"Blue Streak: Inside jetblue, the upstart that rocked an industry", by Barbara Peterson. Chapter 6.

Just wouldn't send the right message?

...message received, Ann.

Getting back to the main purpose of this thread, why would a qualified pilot applicant meeting the competitive hiring minimums of a major airline even consider applying to JetBlue?

Compared to our peers, JetBlue falls far behind in every category (health insurance, retirement, vacation allotment, sick time accrual, trip and duty rigs, pay scale, etc.) This should send a clear message to everyone on the property, as well as anyone applying. Without proper representation, we will never achieve what our peers have. Only with a well negotiated CBA will we be considered to be a destination and/or career airline for pilots. The opportunity to pursue a path to a CBA is on the horizon. It is up to this pilot group to educate one another with the facts. If we don't have the ability to retain and attract good pilots, this place will be worse than a stepping stone.

"In business, you don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate."

http://bluetruthpilots.com

Even with a CBA, we still won't be a top choice.

We still won't have hundreds of yearly retirements. We still won't have widebody aircraft. We will still have gaping holes in our route network and coastal only bases.

Most pilots will rightly choose other legacy airlines.

Like you have said before, other airlines offer pilots so much more than we do.

Thousands of retirements? No. Wide body aircraft? That's anyone's guess. Better pay, benefits, work rules, job protection, a leg to stand on, etc? Yes. A chance at something other than a staple or a kick to the curb in the case of merger and/or acquisition? Yes.

A CBA will not solve every problem, but it will be much better than our current PEA, which isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back