• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Be careful a new hire will never see A320 Captain

2000 pilots on prop.

Roughly 1100 is a captain

900 upgrades/7.5 per plane

=120 new planes. Rate B6 is going=eternity

FWIW

I dont quite see how you can say a newhire will never see 320 CAPT. Yes, it will prob be 8+ years for someone hired today, but good or bad, I would never say never in this industry. The economy could turn around, we could start to grow more, other airlines could grow again, some of our pilots could leave/medical out. Of course, the exact opposite could happen too. But, to say youll never get to 320 capt is reading tea leaves that simply arent there yet.

BTW, even with the sales/reductions, we will still have 134 airplanes by the end of 2008.

Huh, then why did they hire me?

Seriously? I would think it is because they don't have a lot of apps on file anymore.

They have reduced minimums (and now include helicopter time) and started a training alliance / flowthrough with UND/ERU and Cape.

Neither of those things reflect positively on our application pool. But we are hiring less this year now that we are selling an additional 3 jets.

Yes, that's right, Jb is selling NINE airbuses this year. Upside -- we may all still have jobs at the end of the year.

What does 134 planes today have to do with anything in future? No retirements. Selling/reduced delivery. Hoping for medicals for an upgrade is well... bizarre.

Reality is 100 Airbus deliveries needed for someone hired today to upgrade. Never gonna happen.

What does 134 planes today have to do with anything in future? No retirements. Selling/reduced delivery. Hoping for medicals for an upgrade is well... bizarre.

Reality is 100 Airbus deliveries needed for someone hired today to upgrade. Never gonna happen.

Dude, your avatar has man hands.

Do you mean Saturday, April 12th?
May 12th is not a Saturday, it is a Monday....

Step 1: Reanimate an almost year old thread.

Step 2: Correct someone for using the wrong calendar date.

Step 3: Hide and don't post again for a long time.

:laugh:

the chef

The chef is always an expert at forecasting the doom and gloom at jetblue

Lets face it our industry is fubar and yes the 320 capt seats are the only position at this company that are paid at or near industry ( with the exception of a swa comparison)

If I am not mistaken we will have a net gain of 3 320's and 6 190's for 08 or will the 320's be neutral for the year?

Do not come to jetblue expecting a fast upgrade now. I am only 100 guys from junior 320 captain and I am not expecting to upgrade for at least another 2-3 years.

That being said our management has stated that we could exercise delivery options if the market dictates the need.

Pay and benefits here need to improve. I did not come here only because of an advertised 3 year upgrade

PS: Year 3 320 FO I will make 80K this year and average 17-19 days off with 80% of my trip commutable on both ends and the remaining 20% commutable on one end

You missed my point completely. Saying that "youre never going to upgrade" is incorrect. Yes, it will be a LONG time, but there are way to many variables to tell someone 'dont go there youll never upgrade'. I said we'd have 134 planes by the end of 2008 bc i didnt understand your =120 planes statement in your first post.

The medical out thing for upgrade I put out there bc I personally believe most pilots arent going to be able to (health reasons) or want to (sanity) fly to 65. I didnt mean it as a major reason for an upgrade.

If one/two/four airlines merge, alot of capacity will be taken out of the system. That may allow jb and others to begin to grow again at a greater rate. If they dont merge and oil prices stay high, then were all in for a very interesting ride.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back