• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Gulf Flight

Are We There Yet ??
I'm in search of some hotel advice...

I'll be in staying in NYC on the evening of 1/31 for my interview with JetBlue on 02/01. Their pilot recruiment team forwarded me a list of 10 hotels in the area between JFK and their HQ building, where the interviews are scheduled to take place.

Anyone know of a trustworthy hotel in that area to stay? Also, if anyone is arriving the night before like I am, and would like to share a hotel to reduce the overall cost, please PM me and we can disscuss it. I rented a car for the two days so ground transportation is covered.

Thanks in advance and if anyone else is interviewing, Good Luck!

I'm in search of some hotel advice...

I'll be in staying in NYC on the evening of 1/31 for my interview with JetBlue on 02/01. Their pilot recruiment team forwarded me a list of 10 hotels in the area between JFK and their HQ building, where the interviews are scheduled to take place.

Anyone know of a trustworthy hotel in that area to stay? Also, if anyone is arriving the night before like I am, and would like to share a hotel to reduce the overall cost, please PM me and we can disscuss it. I rented a car for the two days so ground transportation is covered.

Thanks in advance and if anyone else is interviewing, Good Luck!

Gulf,

I would suggest not sharing a hotel room with someone you don't know the night before your interview, to save $50.

You'll need a good nights sleep. The night prior, maybe go out for dinner with a fellow candidate, and discuss the interview a little to help you relax, but certainly don't share a room.

Also, if you can get to the JetBlue Term 6 at JFK, there is a company shuttle bus that leaves at :30 past each hour. First it goes to Kew Gardens, then it stops at the HQ building where you will interview.

After your interview, you could just hop on the shuttle that leaves at the top of each hour, and it goes directly to JFK.

May not fit your situation, but pass this along if it might help someone else.

I guess the interviews are not at the hotel anymore? We stayed at the same hotel, and just walked downstairs and did the interview. I suppose they are trying to cut costs. At least maybe they will show you around HQ while you are there.

I wish you the best of luck. Firm handshakes, lots of eye contact, and remember the names of eveyone you talk to.

DW

The guy could use the 50 dollars to pay off what he owes the Gulfstream Academy. Plus being a regional FO does not help either.

Marty

The Waldorf Astoria is nice...............

There are plenty of descent hotels around JFK. I prefer the Marriott Courtyard (free internet). I know they have a crew rate but I am not sure what it is.

Last edited:
I stayed at the Hampton where the interviews were previously held. I recommend them. Nice hotel, free breakfast, reliable shuttle. Kinda $$$ though. I also would not share a room, unless of course she is hot.

DW,

Thanks for the info. You're right, you can't be too careful and I'll certainly need a good night's rest. Regarding the B6 shuttle, I'm flying in the night before and renting a car just makes it easier. I'm a NY'er and luckily I know my way around town. Again, thank you and I hope to see you online soon!

I wouldn't mind sitting Airbus Reserve in FLL. I'll be like Charlie from Charlie's Angels..... answering the call from Bosley (Crew Sheduling) while laying out on my beach chair at Hollywood Beach...minutes away from the employee lot, LOL.

Marty,

Thanks for the $$$ concern. You know, I can still feel the pain from the needle as it went into my veins and I dearly miss that pint of blood.... or was it a gallon??? I don't remember, I passed out! Oh, and that Pound of Flesh?? Shakespeare was right. Don't ever wager what you're not prepared to lose! LOL

G4G5,

Thanks for the Marriott info. I'll check their rates for that date. The Waldorf? Been there, done that. Clean sheets, pleasant atmoshere, and the royal treatment are all highly overrated..... Just like an airline crew hotel..... LOL

Charlie Brown,

My favorite cartoon when I was growing up. Still have the Christmas Tree? Thanks for the info and the advice. I'll check the Hampton Inn's rates as well. All roommate applications MUST be submitted with at least two (2) passport-type photos..... LOL

BrainHurts,

You know, they have medications for that hurtin' head :) The interviews are now being held at their HQ in Forest Hills, adjacent to Kew Gardens.

If the JetBlue experience I had at the Open House in December at the Orlando Training Support Center is any indication of what I should expect at HQ, then it will be a great day! Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it. Wish me luck and I'll hopefully see the B6 crew online soon!

Gulf Flight,

I would recommend staying up all night and then coming to the interview looking like you had just done 5 straight days of redeyes with day sleeps. That way you'll look like you already work here!!

Of course, I'm joking...a little bit.

Gulf Flight,

First of all, cancel that rental car. You don't need it and the associated cost would cover a better nights sleep. I would suggest one of the hotels at JFK, Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn (free breakfast), Marriott Courtyard, even the Days Inn is a newer hotel. Parking is limited around Forest Hills and the cost of parking will probably surpass the cost of a cab. If I'm not mistaken, you will probably pay to park at the hotel as well. All the hotels have free pickup from JFK so the only cab cost will be from the hotel to Forest Hills. You can probably catch the employee shuttle back to JFK. If you stay at one of the airport hotels, you might even run into someone to share the cab with. I would suggest Kew Car Service, their number is 718-846-5800. Give them a call at least 30 minutes before you want to leave as they sometimes take a while to get to you. They charge by the trip, not by the mile so the driver want try to rip you off.

Good luck at the interview.

Pilotgolfer,

You guys only have to do FIVE in a row? WOW, sign me up !!!! LOL I know you're kidding...? Besides, I have my AARP* membership card.

*AARP = Aviation Age-Robbing Program

Side Stick-n,

The research I did after receiving advice from the B6 SLC Pilot Recruiment Team and everyone here at FlightInfo led me to a Hilton Garden Inn at a very decent (for NYC) price of $99/night, including free overnight parking. I don't mind the cost of the rental car; I have family and friends to visit while I'm in NYC (Hey, who can turn down a good Italian home-cooked meal?).

Thanks for the hotel and car service info. I'll keep it "just in case" and I will certainly pass it on to anyone who might need it between now and next week. If anyone needs a ride from my hotel, of course they'll be welcome to share the ride with me.

Again, thanks to everyone for their helpful advice. I've spent the last 7 years of my aviation career helping others in the advancement of their careers as professional aviators. I'm fortunate to have found this forum to share info and ideas with others!

Take Care, Be Safe, and Have Fun!

Latest resources

Back