• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue in full meltdown mode

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you think working MORE duty days every month and risking FAA violation for failing to properly calculate your horrendously complicated flight and duty limit every day is an improvement, I can't help you.

Of course mgmt has now come forward and said if pilots don't comply with the extension then productivity and the pairings will suffer. Good thing we have awesome work rules to protect us. And the best part is mgmt assumed every pilot would extend hence the meltdown. Where heck is Frank?

I use JB almost exclusively to get to work. They're fantastic. I've always been treated well by JB crews both front and back of the house. Getting listed is a pain, but generally, it's worth the hassle. Lots of FL commuters need JB to get to NY.

If you think working MORE duty days every month and risking FAA violation for failing to properly calculate your horrendously complicated flight and duty limit every day is an improvement, I can't help you.

If you think ignoring human physiology and science based fatigue studies because you as a professional pilot you can not determine your max duty time from a simple table, because its too complicated for you, and worse yet you'd be willing to ignore the data to have an extra day off.....well I can't help you.

Gutshot, you do sound like you're just spring loaded to hate anything different.

What regulations do you fall under now?

Are you truly defending the old regs? Did you ever fly under the old ones? Ever fly to their limits month after ragged month for a year or more?

You sound like you're not that familiar with either the new or old

Again, I'm with FDJ- 117 is a much improved set of regs - but maybe I'm still scarred so much from the previous set of "rest regs" that I don't recognize the short comings.

What I like in particular is the flexibility to back two 3 days together-
I cannot count how many times 30-7 kept me from creating a much more rested schedule at SWA-
But then again, SWA schedules are, IMO, the best part of this gig. No reversing the sleep schedule. I generally end pairings more rested than when I began them (this week notwithstanding ).
So working 6 in a row isnt that bad when it means I can now have 9 off and get to Hawaii.

But here's what I also know. 117 wasn't designed to make sure Swa pilots get more rest. It's for commuter and any airline scheduling to the ragged limits.
And I DONT FORGET WHERE I CAME FROM. I've definitely flown schedules at places that were not safe or sustainable for the human body.

117 is a much needed very late improvement

Last edited:
If you think ignoring human physiology and science based fatigue studies because you as a professional pilot you can not determine your max duty time from a simple table, because its too complicated for you, and worse yet you'd be willing to ignore the data to have an extra day off.....well I can't help you.

You seem to ignore the fact that everybody reacts differently to fatigue and what causes it. Just because you call it "science" doesn't make 117 an appropriate solution.

You seem to ignore the fact that everybody reacts differently to fatigue and what causes it. Just because you call it "science" doesn't make 117 an appropriate solution.

RUFKM with this ^^^^

Do you really think you're special and not susceptible to fatigue?

Wave, I never said the old regs were adequate. I'm saying 117 is overly complicated, counterproductive, and will ultimately be shown to be ineffective.

ESPECIALLY in the 91K/135 world in which I operate, should 117 ever be adopted here as some of my colleagues hope.

There are simpler and more effective ways to deal with fatigue.

RUFKM with this ^^^^

Do you really think you're special and not susceptible to fatigue?

How did you make that leap? Everybody reacts differently and copes differently.

I disagree.

Can you point to a "simple" solution, and acknowledge that te body and our schedules can be quite complicated?

Latest resources

Back