• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue Emergency Landing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
but after 60 months if he can't qualify for his position... He gets terminated.

While he may have his position terminated, the LTD pay benefits continue to age 65 even though the medical benefits stop. The termination at the 5 year point may not even be a done deal. I know this topic has been discussed at the ELT level fairly recently. I believe there is intent to do away with that caveat and have the person's position remain available for return. It only saves the company and the insurance company money by allowing him to return to work, even if it is 6 or 7 years later.

"Over Macho grande?"

"No............... I don't think I'll ever be over macho grande"

We do. It can suck real bad for the lower paid guys, but he should be ok. He will max out the plan on a monthly basis and make north of 6 figures on LTD. The real problem is with the medical benefits while out. Costs double the 1st 6 months, then you have to pay cobra for 18 months, then you go back to double cost for 36 months, then you are booted and lose medical coverage all together at the 5 year point.

Unless, of course, he's on Workman's Comp.

is he passed out in that pic on the straight back?

A few airlines back I flew with a guy who used to get kind of batty when he didn't eat - something like low blood sugar.

Ha, I remember that guy. A real roller-coaster flying with him.

While he may have his position terminated, the LTD pay benefits continue to age 65 even though the medical benefits stop. The termination at the 5 year point may not even be a done deal. I know this topic has been discussed at the ELT level fairly recently. I believe there is intent to do away with that caveat and have the person's position remain available for return. It only saves the company and the insurance company money by allowing him to return to work, even if it is 6 or 7 years later.

Just a correction....and an FYI. LTD is to age 65 UNLESS its due to a mental illness or mental issue. A friend a few years ago went out on LTD due to being diagnosed as bi-polar. He got LTD for 2 years and thats it. If its a health issue other than Mental Illness then you are covered to 65.

....and let's not forget to mention the unanswered $64,000 question of whether the company pulled a fast one on us by switching the language of 'Own Occupation' to 'Any Occupation' in the LTD SPD.

If true, there are potentially serious implications to the value of the benefit if, say, you have other salaries.

Couple that with other benefits that can change via email (or really anything for that matter; think FSM and the upcoming 'Uniform Standards Manual') and you have yet another win/win for the company under the guise of the Direct Relationship!

Good thing we don't have a pesky union. Otherwise this contrarian Direct Relationship might not be so advantageous to our leadership, er, I mean our quintessential cut throat Airline Management.

Oh well, I'm sure the next dude I fly with will have no idea about this and brag about another 100+ hour month with 11 days off.

The captain is screwed either way. jetblue benefits don't cover a mental issue long term and STD is designed to cover someone with a broken finger. Let me explain. The Jetblue policy is to cancel the benefits on a monthly basis regardless of the physicians note. The design of the plan is to force you to reapply for benefits monthly in the hopes you don't fight back. This is cumbersome and certainly annoying but not overly difficult if you aren't hospitalized or have all your faculties. The support you get from the airline is non-existent beyond what your CP/CP assistant can do.
In his case who is going to contact the insurance company for him. Who is going to fax his documents when the doctors office doesn't. The insurance company doesn't call you to inform you of missing documents. They simply cancel or suspend your benefits. Unless he has a spouse that works or has substantial savings he WILL ruin his credit and lose a ton of money.
We all hope for the best for this guy. No one deserves to end their career in this manner.

The captain is screwed either way. jetblue benefits don't cover a mental issue long term and STD is designed to cover someone with a broken finger. Let me explain. The Jetblue policy is to cancel the benefits on a monthly basis regardless of the physicians note. The design of the plan is to force you to reapply for benefits monthly in the hopes you don't fight back. This is cumbersome and certainly annoying but not overly difficult if you aren't hospitalized or have all your faculties. The support you get from the airline is non-existent beyond what your CP/CP assistant can do.
In his case who is going to contact the insurance company for him. Who is going to fax his documents when the doctors office doesn't. The insurance company doesn't call you to inform you of missing documents. They simply cancel or suspend your benefits. Unless he has a spouse that works or has substantial savings he WILL ruin his credit and lose a ton of money.
We all hope for the best for this guy. No one deserves to end their career in this manner.

In other news....

1193 JetBlue pilots like free pizza.

Just a correction....and an FYI. LTD is to age 65 UNLESS its due to a mental illness or mental issue. A friend a few years ago went out on LTD due to being diagnosed as bi-polar. He got LTD for 2 years and thats it. If its a health issue other than Mental Illness then you are covered to 65.

Correct.

Limited Benefit Period for Mental Illness etc.

Latest resources

Back