jetBlue "Continuous Improvement Process"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hugh Jorgan said:
Don't forget to brush up on your janitorial procedures....;)

sayagain? said:
Sorry, but that's getting kinda old.

sayagain?
Yeah but was I ever surprised when was I trying to jumpseat on Jet Blue. The Captain told me that not only did I have to go to the galley and pour all the drinks for the FAs to serve, but I would have to stay on board after the pax deplaned and help clean the cabin. I turned down the ride and went on another airline an hour later. I politely turned down the ride not out of laziness, but out of principle. The Captain said he understood.

Never has any airline I've worked for demanded this of a jumpseater. We don't make Jet Blue jumpseaters do this, why do they make others? Although it was not the case this time, many times when I commuted home while at Hawaiian it was at the end of a long duty day. I was tired and just wanted to sit down, nap and get home. Most of the pilots jumpseating on us were the same way. To have to work for my ride for is not what I expeceted and no one else expects this but Jet Blue.

I know - if I don't want to help out, don't jumpseat on Jet Blue.

End of rant.

"The Captain told me that not only did I have to go to the galley and pour all the drinks for the FAs to serve, but I would have to stay on board after the pax deplaned and help clean the cabin".

If that truly happened, then let us have the date and the flightnumber, I will make sure that is never asked by this, allegedly, misguided Captain!

No one that I know at jetblue expect OAL nonrevs to do anything, but sit back and enjoy the ride!

Last edited:
Is nobody going to give Tony a run for his money. Pretty darned clever, that Tony.

I was thinking something along the lines of a utensil for which cottage cheese is eaten.

Dizel8 said:
"The Captain told me that not only did I have to go to the galley and pour all the drinks for the FAs to serve, but I would have to stay on board after the pax deplaned and help clean the cabin".

If that truly happened, then let us have the date and the flightnumber, I will make sure that is never asked by this, allegedly, misguided Captain!

No one that I know at jetblue expect OAL nonrevs to do anything, but sit back and enjoy the ride!
I wish I could give you the exact date and flight number. It was last summer (July I think) and I was going from LAS to IAD (I took SWA to BWI instead) to visit a friend who lives in the DC area. It recently happened to at least one other pilot I know (within the last 2 or 3 months). He was not made to clean but to pour drinks. The FAs asked him and he thought they were joking. They than showed him a company paper and said they were not. He said he even had the Captain call him on the galley phone after he reluctantly went to the galley to pour. It seems the FAs did not like his attitude. He said the Captain apologized but said it was policy - if the FAs wanted his help, he had to do it as part of the company's jumpseating policy. I think my friend might have said the policy was on the back of the jumpseat form - I can't remember for sure and since I've never jumpseated on Jet Blue (other than trying that one time), I do not have a form to check.

If I was jumpseating as a Hawaiian pilot, I would probably have had a talk with my jumpseat coordinator. But since I was jumpseating as a Scenic pilot (an airline which does not have a lot to offer in exchange), I just politely declined the ride and went on my way.

Last edited:
Hugh Jorgan said:
Is nobody going to give Tony a run for his money. Pretty darned clever, that Tony.
I thought Jim's jumpseat story was better. He had me going there for a minute. :)

I always tell the F/As to not hesitate to let me know if they need anything. I'm thinkin' that asking me to do their job for them is a little over the line, though.

Hugh Jorgan said:
I always tell the F/As to not hesitate to let me know if they need anything. I'm thinkin' that asking me to do their job for them is a little over the line, though.
Yeah, I've helped out before too. I've passed out peanuts on SWA a couple of times. My typical LAS-SAN jump is a short flight and they are hard pressed to get their drink service done. Throwing the peanuts helps them a lot. My 9 year old daughter flies unaccompanied on SWA SAN-LAS-SAN every other weekend. She throws peanuts too whenever the FAs let her. She thinks it's a blast.

TonyC said:
I thought Jim's jumpseat story was better. He had me going there for a minute. :)
Believe what you want - it's true. The other pilot was a fellow Scenic guy who used to jump on Jet Blue all the time LAS-JFK-FLL to visit his girlfriend. He was only asked the one time out of 20+ times jumping.

Last edited:
Does your friend have a date and flight number?

I find it hard to believe, that these things truly happened and as far as I know, there is nothing in any manual, pamhplet, Xerox,handout or stonetablet that states anything to that effect, however, since I cannot refute these events, due to lack of information, I can only apologize. Personally, I would have informed the F/A, in no uncertain terms, as to the error in his or her treatment of a OAL nonrev.

If any such request is ever received by anyone on here, bring it to my attention, with as much info as possible and I can assure you, that such behaviour will be curtailed swiftly.

Jetblue pilots will treat any OAL nonrev as a member of the family, however, none will ever be expected to do anything wrt. the operation of the flight!

Jim said:
Believe what you want - it's true. The other pilot was a fellow Scenic guy who used to jump on Jet Blue all the time LAS-JFK-FLL to visit his girlfriend. He was only asked the one time out of 20+ times jumping.
GITOUTTAHEEYA!

:)

Dizel8 said:
Jetblue pilots will treat any OAL nonrev as a member of the family, however, none will ever be expected to do anything wrt. the operation of the flight!
But what if we really wanted to help. Could we, say, land the airplane to give the FO a break?

:)

Latest resources

Back