Jetblue Compensation Improvements

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good point.

We can have a "defacto" union if certain triggering events happen.
That's why the "Values" committee can NOT have a negotiating aspect to it but a COMMUNICATION aspect only.

But you make a good point.

I'd have to dig into case law, but I know that one of the very reasons "collaborative committees" were stopped being used by industry is because the courts have said that there is no discernable difference between, in your case, a "Values Committee" and a company-sponsored union.

Companys are not allowed to sponser unions per the law, so when does a company-sponsered "Values Committee" cross the line into being a company union?

I think the answer is pretty clear, it would only take a petition to the Dept. of Labor and Bob's your uncle, the Values Committee becomes a truly independant union with all federal protections afforded.

I am not aware of any difference in "negotiating" versus "communicating" in terms of it being a company-sponsered union. If you're talking working conditions, then you are a union in the eyes of the law.

There's a downside to this, it's one of the reasons so many companies avoid these collaborative committees, but the Japanese, for example, embrace them. Here the law says a company can't sponser it's own union, in Japan the rules are a lot different.

So back to the question--if you do just a little research, I think you'll find that you already have a union on the property and can get it recognized in a jiffy if you want to.

I can't imagine not wanting to--if they're already acting as an agent for you, why not make it official? It's like people that live together for 20 years, buy a house and have kids but don't get married.

if you go union - go alpa - at fedex we went in house and got hurt until we went alpa and gained knowledge and expertise ( lawyers / negotiators )

if you go union - go alpa - at fedex we went in house and got hurt until we went alpa and gained knowledge and expertise ( lawyers / negotiators )

Just wait until things start going south at FEDEX. Then you'll see the truth.

Don't kid yourself. Our current contract is what it is because Dave Webb is sensible and ex-EAL. He knows the evils of airline management. Had he been the leader of an in-house union, I think he'd have done as well. Like any good manager, he surrounded himself with good people and let them do their jobs. All those people were FX crewmembers, not ALPA national.

ALPA is good insurance, good legal advice, good place to call after accidents/incidents, and a really expensive bad magazine about RJ's. That's it.

In the bad times or the downturns, they are like a lead life jacket.

My hard-earned two cents on ALPA.

PIPE

We were pay protected and paid double time (holiday pay)for everything. (not kidding). Maybe you guys can get that in your next ALPA contract.

maybe we don't have exactly that, but overall, I'd say I have better than that in my ALPA contract.

If you don't want ALPA, don't vote for them. But I've worked at a company with and without them. Overall, life has been better with the ALPA contract.

Don't kid yourself. Our current contract is what it is because Dave Webb is sensible and ex-EAL. He knows the evils of airline management. Had he been the leader of an in-house union, I think he'd have done as well. Like any good manager, he surrounded himself with good people and let them do their jobs. All those people were FX crewmembers, not ALPA national.

ALPA is good insurance, good legal advice, good place to call after accidents/incidents, and a really expensive bad magazine about RJ's. That's it.

In the bad times or the downturns, they are like a lead life jacket.

My hard-earned two cents on ALPA.

PIPE

Do you happen to know Ed Bradley (sp). Netgotiating committee member for the company (FedEx), I think?

Latest resources

Back