• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue ALPA drive

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
go back a few posts and I said JB pilots should probably have a union, one voice for all the pilots. But once you have the union, mob think moves in and drives the company into a corner to meet the union's demands and destroys the company that provides their living. Only my experience. As stated before if the union works with management to become more productive, it is a great relationship. BTW as far as retirement bennys, they were available to any one wanted to join the military and spend 20+ years.

Please, you have no dog in this one. Take your 20 years and ...

Please, you have no dog in this one. Take your 20 years and ...
I ahve a lot of friends that work there this has been a topic of discussion over beers, it is wrong to continue it here? Is it wrong to share my experiences working as union member at an airline? Or is the only course to follow is unions can do no wrong and management can do no right?
of course... becasue you say so.....

Interesting... why did you not say .... if management works with the union? Are they in charge of the company?

So the MIL is the only way to get retirement bennies? What if a MIL guy dies at 19.5 years? What about his spouse and kids?.
Nice touch yes of course it has to be each party working with other to increase productivity to ensure the airline's survival. BTW 19.5 widow and kids would continue to recieve benefits, the same as my wife if check out before her.

Last edited:
go back a few posts and I said JB pilots should probably have a union, one voice for
all the pilots. But once you have the union, mob think moves in and drives the company into a corner to meet the union's demands and destroys the company that provides their living. Only my experience. As stated before if the union works with management to become more productive, it is a great relationship. BTW as far as retirement bennys, they were available to any one wanted to join the military and spend 20+ years.

As in Southwest Airlines, the most unionized airline in the Country.

I'm glad you asked! Since ALPA came on the property, we have gone from 171 grievances in the backlog to under 40.
Awesome...screw pay raises and more benefits...lets get those grievances brought under control! Where is that on the priority list...like number 9 or 10? Window dressing, my friend.

Since ALPA came on the property, we have gone from 5 TA'd contract sections with basically no improvements, to all but a few economic pieces remaining open, and a likely contract or release within a couple of months.
A few economic pieces??? Like PAY? The chickens haven't hatched and you want to put it up on the score board? Easy there big guy...

Since ALPA came on the property, we have returned a contract hostage to work, and we have instituted a mandatory assessment to help out other contract hostages and other pilots who have financial difficulties. Since ALPA came on the property, we have picketed for the first time in our pilot group's history, and we have voted 98% in favor of authorizing a strike, something the independent union never could have dreamed of accomplishing.
And more window dressing being fluffed up to look like substantial gains. WHAT ABOUT THE PAY AND BENEFITS, BUDDY?!

Starting to get the picture? The AirTran pilots are quite happy with their ALPA representation.

Good luck to the JetBlue pilots. I hope to see you wearing ALPA pins very soon. You deserve a binding contract and real representation.
Yes...we all see the picture quite clearly. Your "achievements" are trivial at best.

For the sake of the AirTran pilots....I hope ALPA doesn't let them down, too.

Well..... perhaps....

If it was insulting.... then perhaps there is some truth....

or.. perhaps one has a low level of self esteem.....

If one acts like a child, they should not be surprised to be treated like one...

and

If one acts ignorant, they should not be surprised to be treated like an idiot....
Or maybe we were getting off topic?

The guy has intentionally (or not....) made logical fallacies about pilots controlling companies and why ALPA is such a failure.... the best way to engage, is simply not to...
How much "control" can you really have if you don't run the company? I keep hearing these feel-good empowering slogans like taking control of your career...but history has proven through bad management that pilots aren't in control of their careers.

Currently ALPA stinks because for the past 9 years being an Air Line Pilot stinks. ALPA is the biggest on the block so it gets the bulls eye. Yet the anti-USAPA crowd has already pointed out ALPA gains and asks when USAPA is going to make some gains for its pilots.... time will tell...

Most pilots want days off and money in their wallet. Until the company or a union does that, they will be jaded, pissed off, angry and bitter... Recall most pilots "just want to fly their trip and go home". These cynics usually want the gains without the responsibility and have had unrealistic expectations in the first place, but they will never be objective enough to consider or admit that...

ALPA has fueled the fire by shamelessly promoting and up-selling its services, a la "taking it back". They have themselves to thank for the anti-ALPA crowd.

Awesome...screw pay raises and more benefits...lets get those grievances brought under control! Where is that on the priority list...like number 9 or 10? Window dressing, my friend.

A few economic pieces??? Like PAY? The chickens haven't hatched and you want to put it up on the score board? Easy there big guy...

And more window dressing being fluffed up to look like substantial gains. WHAT ABOUT THE PAY AND BENEFITS, BUDDY?!

Yes...we all see the picture quite clearly. Your "achievements" are trivial at best.

For the sake of the AirTran pilots....I hope ALPA doesn't let them down, too.

The pay and benefit increases will be achieved very shortly. With the in-house union, we would still be arguing over OJI and hostage benefits. With ALPA, we're now on the cusp of either a consensual agreement or a release to strike. Either way, we're about to see big improvements in pay, benefits, work rules, and job security. The difference from the in-house union is night and day.

but what about?

The pay and benefit increases will be achieved very shortly. With the in-house union, we would still be arguing over OJI and hostage benefits. With ALPA, we're now on the cusp of either a consensual agreement or a release to strike. Either way, we're about to see big improvements in pay, benefits, work rules, and job security. The difference from the in-house union is night and day.
but what if it makes the company non-competitive?

Latest resources

Back