• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue ALPA drive

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Back in the SUVs hey day of the early 2000's. It cost the UAW automakers about $1,500-$2,000 more per car more to make a car due to these contracts obligations and feather bedding, pay for not working and a hose of other contract obligations that made them unproductive compared to their non-union auto makers. You can only milk the cow so much before it goes dry. They have to make more margin per car to break even. Because the production cost is fixed and almost the same for a Explorer and a Focus, they had to sell the high-end SUV to make a profit. Ford could sell 10M Focuses and not make a profit. They thrived in the late 90's on cheap gas and SUV's with high mark ups. The UAW was between a rock and a hard place in the reality of the market where consumer decise who will survive and who will not. However, the pilot board here does not care about people in the UAW, they feel the non-union factories do a better job. Is that what I read?

YAWN!! Who knows what you'd have to talk about if you didn't live in MI....

Airline pilot unions operate under the RLA unlike the UAW.... next!

Meanwhile CEO's came and went, carved themselves out golden parachutes and basically operated with the attitude of what is in it for me... how do you expect the unions to respond...

Look, if Jetblue pilots go ALPA, then can be the giveaway union and do whatever management wants. Or they can be hardliners. The point is.. they get to decide...

Why are you so afraid of a pilot group gaining autonomy? The jetblue pilots are smart guys... they can figure it out...

Are you advocating that jetblue pilots not unionize and embrace the status quo?

YAWN!! Who knows what you'd have to talk about if you didn't live in MI....

Why are you so afraid of a pilot group gaining autonomy? The jetblue pilots are smart guys... they can figure it out...

Are you advocating that jetblue pilots not unionize and embrace the status quo?
not afraid at all, I have just seen the 'battle cry" of more days off and more money at airlines that decided they could afford it and went out of business. Were those smart pilots also? If unions want to work management to increase productivity to increase benefits, and pay I am all for it, but that is rarely the battle cry.

Toyota

Just who were these non-union auto makers?
Toyota for one, I am not sure about Honda, but Toyota was the big benefactor of Detroit's higher costs.

Last edited:
not afraid at all, I have just seen the 'battle cry" of more days off and more money at airlines that decided they could afford it and went out of business. Were those smart pilots also? If unions want to work management to increase productivity to increase benefits, and pay I am all for it, but that is rarely the battle cry.

Yet you didn't answer my question....

The jb pilots' battle cry isn't more days off and more money....

Are you for or against the jetblue pilots gaining representation? I do recall you thought the Spirit pilots should stand down...

Toyota for one, I am not sure about Honda, but Toyota was the big benefactor of Detroit's higher costs.

And those where healthcare and pensions.. something every worker shoud have...

In the end the UAW worked with management and got hourly cost in line with non union workers in right to work states... (hint the Southeast!) The only difference was the health care and pension...

Seems most people thought the UAWworkers should just give up thier HC and pensions.... Do you?

Also, do you have a pension and healthcare from a job in which you are no longer productive? (retired?)

Gee Rez, Most the ALPA carriers gave up their pension's and health care.

How come Prater gets a life time pension and medical from ALPA for just a few years of obscenely compensated lunchoens.

Please answer in the form of a question......

The only reason ALPO wants JB is for dues.

Hey read don't react

Yet you didn't answer my question....

The jb pilots' battle cry isn't more days off and more money....

Are you for or against the jetblue pilots gaining representation? I do recall you thought the Spirit pilots should stand down...
go back a few posts and I said JB pilots should probably have a union, one voice for all the pilots. But once you have the union, mob think moves in and drives the company into a corner to meet the union's demands and destroys the company that provides their living. Only my experience. As stated before if the union works with management to become more productive, it is a great relationship. BTW as far as retirement bennys, they were available to any one wanted to join the military and spend 20+ years.

How come Prater gets a life time pension and medical from ALPA for just a few years of obscenely compensated lunchoens.

Assuming Captain Prater doesn't get reelected, his pension will only be for 20% of earnings. It's 5% for each year served. Not exactly a huge windfall for giving up 4 years of his life to work for his fellow pilots.

The only reason ALPO wants JB is for dues.

JetBlue will be a net loss for ALPA for several years, and then will likely only break even until they get bigger. It's not about dues.

But once you have the union, mob think moves in and drives the company into a corner to meet the union's demands and destroys the company that provides their living.

I can only dream that unions will someday have even a fraction of the power over management that you claim we have.

go back a few posts and I said JB pilots should probably have a union, one voice for all the pilots. But once you have the union, mob think moves in and drives the company into a corner to meet the union's demands and destroys the company that provides their living.
of course... becasue you say so.....

Only my experience.
which is inclusive or exlusive

As stated before if the union works with management to become more productive, it is a great relationship.
Interesting... why did you not say .... if management works with the union? Are they in charge of the company?

BTW as far as retirement bennys, they were available to any one wanted to join the military and spend 20+ years.
So the MIL is the only way to get retirement bennies? What if a MIL guy dies at 19.5 years? What about his spouse and kids?

Logic fail.

Latest resources

Back