JetBLue, AirTran, or Alaska?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

humuakalaka

Just wondering what y'alls opinions are. Aside from commuting issues, which one is the best choice if I'm lucky enough to be able to make the choice? These three seem close in terms of which is best to work for.

That’s a good question, I have been weighting the pros and cons between AirTran and Alaska too. I came up with FO pay is better at Alaska, but upgrade could be as long as 7-10 years, AirTran upgrade around 3 years. It seems Airtran has a better relationship with Management then Alaska. Pilots I have met at Airtran seem to be very happy, at Alaska they used to be very happy, but now are very upset with Management. But we all that can change on a dime at AirTran.

Last edited:
I dont work for any of the above (although I used to work for AirTran) but I would pick Alaska for one reason.

They have engineered, developed, and OWN a lot of the instrument approaches that they use at some of the small towns in Alaska. They are the ONLY economic driver for those towns. They are the only access to the national transportation system for those people. Alaska relies upon that airline.

I just cant see them ever going away. We must be getting pretty far away from 09/11. People are starting to forget about JOB SECURITY in favor of a quick upgrade again.

FurloughedAgain said:
They have engineered, developed, and OWN a lot of the instrument approaches that they use at some of the small towns in Alaska. They are the ONLY economic driver for those towns. They are the only access to the national transportation system for those people. Alaska relies upon that airline.

as if no one else could ever do this?

Last edited:
FurloughedAgain said:
They are the ONLY economic driver for those towns. They are the only access to the national transportation system for those people. Alaska relies upon that airline.

I just cant see them ever going away. We must be getting pretty far away from 09/11. People are starting to forget about JOB SECURITY in favor of a quick upgrade again.

Hmmm, I remember some pilots at Aloha that used to say that all the time about Hawaii.

Alaska may be the better company to work for, but I'm not sure that your job security would be better at Alaska. I was hired at AirTran after 9/11 and am already in the top half of the seniority list. I'm sure people at Jet Blue could say the same thing.

As for the morale at AK, it is very hard to go backwards. Hopefully, things will improve there.

In the unlikely event that you end up with offers from all three, it's gonna come down to what is important to YOU . . . fast upgrade in mainline aircraft (FL), progressive management (JB), or west coast bases, more challenging flying and pictures of senior TWA flight attendants on the vertical stab (AK).

Good luck, Stryker, we're all counting on you.

Go and research these 3 companies like you were going to invest every penny you have in just one. The company that looks like it has the business plan that can sustain it through the good and the ugly is the one you want to pick, without consideration for commuting etc. Just my thought.

Benhuntn said:
Go and research these 3 companies like you were going to invest every penny you have in just one. The company that looks like it has the business plan that can sustain it through the good and the ugly is the one you want to pick, without consideration for commuting etc. Just my thought.

it is still a crap shoot. i would just put them on a dart board and have at it. in ten years you will be surprised how it all turned out.:)

This is an easy question to answer. Take the first job that is offered. If you get offered a second job while you already have the first, then you'll know more to make an informed decision.

Also, it would be easier to get a job at Alaska (Airtran) if you were already employed at Airtran (Alaska).

Latest resources

Back