• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue adding F on JFK-SFO/LAX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
http://www.virginamerica.com/press-...merica-names-new-chief-operating-officer.html

Steve Forte???? Holey moley, yewz guyz got Steve Forte???? The man that almost destroyed United Airlines? Awesum.

My recommendation is that as soon as he shows up at VX, you immediately tell him that VX is overstaffed and there's no need to train any more pilots for the next few years. He'll probably immediately recognize your talent and promote you to mismanagement empty suit.

Forte replaced Hart Langer in 1999. He was immediately told by ALPA that United was way behind the power curve on hiring pilots. He didn't listen and is primarily responsible for United's summer 2000 meltdown, known as the 'summer of love'. United's CEO at the time was Jimmy Goodwin, a dimwitted soul, he could best be described as the chubby retarded kid who always had a smile on his face. Forte was able to convince him that it was entirely the pilots' fault for the flight cancellations.

Forte had a big hand in the post-911 dismantling of United. He had been offered a fairly generous furlough mitigation package by ALPA but refused to take it, instead choosing to lay off 2172 pilots. So when United needed to increase the number of pilots in late 2005, Forte again ignored ALPA, saying that the airline was adequately staffed.
United had several spectacular operating failures in early 2006 thanks to being short on pilots. Unfortunately for Forte, the CEO was Tilton, who, while an ahole, was a significantly brighter bulb than Goodwin. Tilton canned Forte. And from the looks of Forte's resume since departing United, he's held big fish jobs in a couple of third/fourth tier companies.
Congratulations for landing a 'big fish'.

Yay teem! Vurjin Umarikuh rox! Yore winnerz; trofees four awl!

I'm sure you guys are en fuego; three new front office talking heads in short order always indicates a solid company with zero problems.

Hmmmmmm, that's not at all what I said. How do you jump from me saying we are slowly turning the corner to we are "en fuego"? As you know, even me saying we have had the best respective quarters is not saying much. But, it's enough for me to be comfortable they wont shut the doors.

I don't know if VX is going to close up shop anytime real soon or not. But I think it's a distinct possibility and, judging by the market choices of JetBlue and others I don't think I'm alone. They probably do want to be in a position to grab those passengers if/when that happens. But I think that primarily they just had an epiphany of the obvious, that 1st class seats on transcon flights are money makers.

Only problem lies with having a fleet-within-the-fleet that sells first class tickets and gets replaced for mx by a plane without it. I pity the gate agents and flight attendants when that inevitably happens.

My sincere apologies. I had too much to drink last night and went over the line. If I could delete my prior post, I would.

It will be interesting to see how this affects VX considering so many airlines are gunning for transcon-premium service with a focus on JFK-LAX/SFO

I believe UAL just announced some premium transcon service as well.

As for all airlines involved, any capacity that is taken out of the marketplace is a good thing. Everyone seems focused on FC, but the improvement in coach ticket yields should be interesting this summer.

S

Latest resources

Back