• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Andy

12/13/2012
JetBlue’s Premium-Seat Plan Cedes Coach-Only to Southwest

By Mary Jane Credeur - Mar 20, 2013 7:22 AM MT
JetBlue Airways Corp. (JBLU) will add premium seats on some transcontinental jets, leaving Southwest Airlines Co. (LUV) as the lone airline among the seven biggest U.S. carriers with coach-only service.
JetBlue will offer the premium seats and Wi-Fi Internet service on daytime flights between New York’s John F. Kennedy airport and Los Angeles and San Francisco starting next year, Chief Commercial Officer Robin Hayes said today at an investor event in New York.
He didn’t elaborate on how many seats or whether the company plans a separate first-class cabin. The carrier will share more details later this year, he said.
The move will boost revenue and help JetBlue compete withUnited Continental Holdings Inc. (UAL), Delta Air Lines Inc. (DAL) and AMR Corp.’s American Airlines. All three have first-class cabins and compete for passengers in JetBlue’s hometown of New York, the nation’s busiest aviation market.
JetBlue needs premium seats “to be truly competitive” on transcontinental service, Hayes said.
The top route from New York’s John F. Kennedy Airport is Los Angeles, followed by San Francisco, according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...-seat-plan-cedes-coach-only-to-southwest.html

It will be interesting to see how this affects VX considering so many airlines are gunning for transcon-premium service with a focus on JFK-LAX/SFO

Can't they just borrow another $150,000,000.00

Might need to add another zero to that ;)

I dont wish any ill will towards the VX pilots, it just seems like the whole product hinges on their transcon success, and now everyone has them in the crosshairs.

It will be interesting to see how this affects VX considering so many airlines are gunning for transcon-premium service with a focus on JFK-LAX/SFO

I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

Can't they just borrow another $150,000,000.00

Sure. I don't know about getting it from Branson though; Virgin Atlantic lost $200 million last year. He'll probably be shoring up Virgin Atlantic's balance sheet instead of VX.

Maybe VX can borrow from the Russian oligarchs after they withdraw their money from Cyprus?

Depending on how much cash VX burned through in 4Q2012 and 1Q2013, they might be able to limp through the summer. They won't make it through 4Q2013 without more money.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

Sure. I don't know about getting it from Branson though; Virgin Atlantic lost $200 million last year. He'll probably be shoring up Virgin Atlantic's balance sheet instead of VX.

Maybe VX can borrow from the Russian oligarchs after they withdraw their money from Cyprus?

Depending on how much cash VX burned through in 4Q2012 and 1Q2013, they might be able to limp through the summer. They won't make it through 4Q2013 without more money.

Yup, best respective quarters since the airline has been in existance....SHUT ER DOWN!!! My bet is if we need money, the investors will give back some of our interest money they have made on us. Operational profit 4q2012, not even close to the normal losses 1q2013, revenue guy and network planner that know what the heck they are doing, new COO with some good experience (don't know much about him yet)...I would say things are slowly turning towards the positive.

Last edited:
Yup, best respective quarters since the airline has been in existance....SHUT ER DOWN!!! My bet is if we need money, the investors will give back some of our interest money they have made on us.
Don't bother trying. It isn't worth it. Let the naysayers and doomsday talkers be.

Good luck guys.

Also heard: "319s before the 321s".

"give back some of our interest money they have made on us"? Are you in the Government?

Yup, best respective quarters since the airline has been in existance....SHUT ER DOWN!!! My bet is if we need money, the investors will give back some of our interest money they have made on us. Operational profit 4q2012, not even close to the normal losses 1q2013, revenue guy and network planner that know what the heck they are doing, new COO with some good experience (don't know much about him yet)...I would say things are slowly turning towards the positive.

I'm sure you guys are en fuego; three new front office talking heads in short order always indicates a solid company with zero problems.

Latest resources

Back