Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jetblue ad targets CEO's, GA, and your job!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This the NBAA's response to Jet Blue's "Bigwig" advertising campaign.

2009 Press Releases

NBAA Letter Calls On JetBlue to Pull Online Ad Campaign

Ads malign an industry that creates jobs, serves towns across the U.S.

Contacts: Dan Hubbard, (202) 783-9360, [email protected]
Patrick Dunne (202) 783-9263, [email protected]

Washington, DC, March 20, 2009 – National Business Aviation Association (NBAA) President and CEO Ed Bolen today sent the following letter to JetBlue President and CEO David Barger in regard to the airline's recent online advertising campaign, which maligns business aviation in an attempt to boost ticket sales.

"The online advertising campaign produced by JetBlue overlooks the fact that the people and companies in business aviation are among the airlines' best customers," Bolen said upon sending the letter. "Equally important, the ads disparage an industry that creates more than a million jobs and provides a lifeline to communities across America's heartland – many of which aren't served by JetBlue. It also helps companies be more nimble in this highly challenging economy and supports countless humanitarian flights each year. It's disappointing that the airline has chosen to target an industry that comprises a significant portion of its own customer base, and also serves as the economic backbone of the country."

The text of Bolen's letter is as follows:
March 20, 2009
Mr. David Barger
President and Chief Operating Officer
JetBlue Airways Corporation
118-29 Queens Blvd
Forest Hills, NY 11375

Dear Mr. Barger:

I was disappointed to see JetBlue's recent online advertising campaign. As you know, the vast majority of the companies that utilize business aviation also use commercial airlines – including yours – on trips when it makes sense. NBAA's Members purchase over $11 billion worth of commercial airline tickets annually.

However, when it comes to meeting their transportation challenges, JetBlue simply doesn't make sense for our members in a large number of instances. Here are just a few examples to illustrate my point:
  • JetBlue doesn't make sense for businesses located in any of the thousands of towns and communities your airline doesn't serve.
  • JetBlue doesn't make sense for the many companies that often need to conduct business in three or more cities in a single day.
  • Jet Blue doesn't make sense if a company is trying to move a product that does not fit in one of your overhead bins, or if the equipment is too sensitive to be checked or shipped.
  • Jet Blue doesn't make sense if employees with a company need to discuss company business while flying without fear of being overheard by eavesdroppers.
It's unfortunate to see that your ad campaign overlooks these realities, and promotes a caricature that does not represent the people and
companies that need business aviation to compete and survive, especially in this challenging economic climate.

I ask that you please immediately pull your ads in recognition of the fact that they amount to nothing more than an attention-grabbing stunt to fill airline seats by maligning the people and businesses who spend billions with your airline and others each year, while also generating more than a million jobs and providing a lifeline for towns across the country. Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.
Sincerely,

Ed Bolen
President and CEO
National Business Aviation Association

I have to say I think we are all taking Jet Blue a little too seriously. Their ad campaign was crafted in such a way that it clearly is just poking a little fun, and nothng else. If you have the means to be able to fly on a corporate jet, whether through ownership, fractional or charter, I doubt you are going to switch to Jet Blue because of an ad campaign.

The reality is Jet Blue and the airlines are not the competition for travelers who can fly on private jets. Jet Blue competes with the other airlines, period. If they want to have a little fun, I don't think it serves our industry to get so serious. We should just poke fun back at them for all of their poor service, poor on time reliability record, and all of the other things that have made airline service miserable.

Let's all lighten up folks. It's tough enough to be in this industry right now. Let's not make each other miserable.

I have to say I think we are all taking Jet Blue a little too seriously. Their ad campaign was crafted in such a way that it clearly is just poking a little fun, and nothng else. If you have the means to be able to fly on a corporate jet, whether through ownership, fractional or charter, I doubt you are going to switch to Jet Blue because of an ad campaign.

The reality is Jet Blue and the airlines are not the competition for travelers who can fly on private jets. Jet Blue competes with the other airlines, period. If they want to have a little fun, I don't think it serves our industry to get so serious. We should just poke fun back at them for all of their poor service, poor on time reliability record, and all of the other things that have made airline service miserable.

Let's all lighten up folks. It's tough enough to be in this industry right now. Let's not make each other miserable.

Absolutely!!!! I thought the ads were pretty funny! We need to take a step back and yes defend our territory, but also fire back, I mean how hard would it be to make a commercial touting the "convenience" of 121 travel......I'd do it but am too busy flying our guys around in our time machine.

I've never been an "airline vs corporate pilot" guy......but some of you guys are amazing. Look, the ads are FUNNY!! I'm assuming that all the posters on here aren't flying for CEO's who embezzle money, get caught in extortion....have assistants with assistants and so forth. The ads are a funny way of showing we have nice planes, comfortable seats, tv's that are free.....that's it. It's just another medium to reach the populus. If you are threatened and feel your job is in jeopardy because of these ads....then your company sucks.....plain and simple. This ad campaign isn't a "nail in the coffin" for a good corporate flight dept. NBAA needs to freakin grow up.

CD

This the NBAA's response to Jet Blue's "Bigwig" advertising campaign.

2009 Press Releases

NBAA Letter Calls On JetBlue to Pull Online Ad Campaign

Ads malign an industry that creates jobs, serves towns across the U.S.

Contacts: Dan Hubbard, (202) 783-9360, [email protected]
Patrick Dunne (202) 783-9263, [email protected]

Washington, DC, March 20, 2009 – National Business Aviation Association (NBAA) President and CEO Ed Bolen today sent the following letter to JetBlue President and CEO David Barger in regard to the airline's recent online advertising campaign, which maligns business aviation in an attempt to boost ticket sales.

"The online advertising campaign produced by JetBlue overlooks the fact that the people and companies in business aviation are among the airlines' best customers," Bolen said upon sending the letter. "Equally important, the ads disparage an industry that creates more than a million jobs and provides a lifeline to communities across America's heartland – many of which aren't served by JetBlue. It also helps companies be more nimble in this highly challenging economy and supports countless humanitarian flights each year. It's disappointing that the airline has chosen to target an industry that comprises a significant portion of its own customer base, and also serves as the economic backbone of the country."

The text of Bolen's letter is as follows:
March 20, 2009
Mr. David Barger
President and Chief Operating Officer
JetBlue Airways Corporation
118-29 Queens Blvd
Forest Hills, NY 11375

Dear Mr. Barger:

I was disappointed to see JetBlue's recent online advertising campaign. As you know, the vast majority of the companies that utilize business aviation also use commercial airlines – including yours – on trips when it makes sense. NBAA's Members purchase over $11 billion worth of commercial airline tickets annually.

However, when it comes to meeting their transportation challenges, JetBlue simply doesn't make sense for our members in a large number of instances. Here are just a few examples to illustrate my point:
  • JetBlue doesn't make sense for businesses located in any of the thousands of towns and communities your airline doesn't serve.
  • JetBlue doesn't make sense for the many companies that often need to conduct business in three or more cities in a single day.
  • Jet Blue doesn't make sense if a company is trying to move a product that does not fit in one of your overhead bins, or if the equipment is too sensitive to be checked or shipped.
  • Jet Blue doesn't make sense if employees with a company need to discuss company business while flying without fear of being overheard by eavesdroppers.
It's unfortunate to see that your ad campaign overlooks these realities, and promotes a caricature that does not represent the people and
companies that need business aviation to compete and survive, especially in this challenging economic climate.

I ask that you please immediately pull your ads in recognition of the fact that they amount to nothing more than an attention-grabbing stunt to fill airline seats by maligning the people and businesses who spend billions with your airline and others each year, while also generating more than a million jobs and providing a lifeline for towns across the country. Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.
Sincerely,

Ed Bolen
President and CEO
National Business Aviation Association

I think that Ed needs to lighten up a little BUT all things considered he makes some very relevant arguments why Jetblue is not a replacement for business aviation. Of course we already knew that didnt we?

PS: The Aviation Industry in the United States is our countries ONLY self sustaining industry.... Considering that this great country invented industrialization that is truly a sad fact.

I think that Ed needs to lighten up a little BUT all things considered he makes some very relevant arguments why Jetblue is not a replacement for business aviation. Of course we already knew that didnt we?

PS: The Aviation Industry in the United States is our countries ONLY self sustaining industry.... Considering that this great country invented industrialization that is truly a sad fact.

I agree that Ed needs to lighten up- but the United States did not invent industrialization- Britain did.

Latest resources

Back