• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue Ab Initio Program ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm surprised the public is even aware of such a small program even with the occasional newspaper article talking about it.

Just keep those ticket prices low and John Q. Public will knock down the doors getting to your airplanes. :D

The articles keep showing up. Guess the editors believe readers find the idea interesting.

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/jetblue-shakes-up-pilot-hiring-by-training-them-from-scratch/

"JetBlue plans to begin accepting applications in the first quarter and to open training in mid-2016. Successful trainees would join the airline as first officers in 2020. Gateway 7 will consider applicants with no previous training as well as those with flight experience, McGraw said. Prospective pilots would pay for their own training."

"Recruits also would take academic classes at JetBlue before moving to a partner company to gain the required 1,500 hours of flying time. They then would return to New York-based JetBlue, or could apply at another airline."

Pay to play and partner companies to build time. Sounds like an odd way to address any of the training or shortage issues.

If this below is the case, why bother with the Gateway 7 program ? Indentured servitude pilots would be pretty small numbers and don't seem worth this much trouble to the company. I must be missing something:

"The program isn't a response to a potential pilot shortage, McGraw said. JetBlue, the fifth-largest U.S. airline, receives thousands of candidates for pilot positions and expects that to continue. Rather, Gateway 7 will supplement six existing recruiting efforts at the airline, he said."

In order to compare the proposed Jet Blue program to the US military, you would need to probably spend similar amounts of time and money creating such aviators.

Last edited:
There are no details because the details haven't been finalized by jetblue or approved by the FAA...

I really am not putting much stock in the program and predict it will fade away with little or no fan fare. The only bad press is no press?

...now by saying this I'm in no way saying that I endorse the program, but these guys will have to be better than some of the 500-600hr E145 pilots I got to fly with at the regional level.

Yet ab-initio programs have been used in the rest of the world with great success for decades. British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Lufthansa, Quantas, and others have used cadetships to their advantage. The testing is rigorous to qualify and then you can tailor the individual from day 1 to be exactly the pilot you want, following your SOP from the get go.
With flight training becoming prohibitively expensive (especially if you go to college too) this seems like the perfect way to ensure a stream of highly qualified, highly motivated and dedicated employees.
Now, does it suck for the people who have applied and failed? Yes, sure it does but if you failed to get hired is that the company's fault or yours?
Does this mean the company will stop its traditional hiring? No, because it takes years to get an ab-initio student to the right seat of a 320 or 190.
Will this encourage some people to start flying who otherwise wouldn't because it was cost prohibitive? Yes.
Does every branch of the US military use ab-initio to pretty great success? Hell yes and I defy any of you to say that the US military's pilots are somehow sub standard because of it.
I just don't see the issue with this at all.

I see an issue with this . I am a guy that will have to land a 321 in Santiago at 0400 with weather , mechanical issues , mountains and lack of rest because Jetblue makes their reserves fly these types of trips with as much as a 21 hour duty day if it's a tail end deadhead . And you think it's pretty cool to have 2 exhausted guys doing this when one has no clue what's going on because he hasn't seen the real weather , failure ,fatigue ,mountains in a real jet much less one that holds 190 people . Oh yeah no problem here sign me right up put all my family members in the back of that jet . At the end of my trip my family would like to see me . The next thing will be they sign a training contract with big blue like a skanky 135 operator .

Why is JetBlue so obsessed with creating their own "hitler youth" of pilots? They prefer yes men obviously but is it worth creating them?

Why is JetBlue so obsessed with creating their own "hitler youth" of pilots? They prefer yes men obviously but is it worth creating them?

Depending on the numbers, it may be...

This program does not make sense for BlueJet. It might for other carriers that are going to lose hundreds a month due to age 65-70.

So why is BlueJet doing the leg work for A4A?

Money. IMO Blujet is being paid to be the bow wave to change the FARs not for just BlueJet but for all Part 121 carriers and the A4A is footing the bill.

No proof but it is the only reason IMO why BlueJet is leading G7 to provide the A4A the data it needs to reduce the ATP requirements.

Latest resources

Back