• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue Ab Initio Program ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'd hardly call a Cape Air pilot who's flown in the northeast during the winter a well trained switch monkey! It's a tried and proven program and it gives people who may not otherwise be able to fly the opportunity to.
The money? That's on you, your Union, and what it will negotiate for them.

Ill take a cape air guy any day who's flown the winter in the NE over a guy with 1000hrs of when it hits the fan, I need a break and can we do that again.

This isn't Europe or China. There is no shortage of already-qualified pilots in this country. There is a shortage of pilots willing to work for less than the waiter at Chili's. The JetBlue ab initio program is nothing more or less than an attempt to train up captive pilots willing to work for less because they'll have nowhere else to go. We need experienced pilots, not well-drilled switch monkeys.

As someone who came up through the ranks paying my dues as it's said, as a CFI for a couple years then a Beech 18 freight dog and finally a regional I felt I was prepared at that point for any thing the training department wanted to throw at me. There was a lot of on the job training so to speak and several, "damn I'm never going to do that again" moments. Is this the only way to create a seasoned pilot? Certainly not. As was mentioned earlier our military has done it since WW1 and the rest of the world as well. The record speaks for itself as do the facts.
I currently fly with your "switch monkeys " everyday here and I will tell you from my past experiences working at three U.S. carriers that there is not a difference when it comes to low time first officers, none. My only takeaway is the lack of radar knowledge, and real world weather patterns but that improves with time of course. Their aircraft knowledge, systems, FMS, SOP, company ops etc., is generally spot on. Do these guys(gals) have a lot to learn during the first few years of course we all did didn't we. I wish I had my NDB skills I had 25 years ago flying the Shorts. Wow did I learn a great deal as a TWA F/E. There are several ways to becoming a good pilot and the first and most important is a professional attitude. I see no reason to fear this program or its future protege. Your fear is the unknown. If you have concerns why not insert yourself in the program and become a part of the solution. Bad mouthing a particular path to becoming a professional pilot is not redeeming.

Gateway 7 is intended to hire non-pilots and train them in light aircraft and simulators for a multi-crew environment, much like some overseas carriers. Those are "switch monkeys" : pilots who can operate an aircraft by SOP under close supervision, with no real world experience outside a training environment. I have a problem with this, and so does ALPA. There is no legitimate reason - none - to settle for never-seen-the-inside-of-a-cloud ink-wet commercial "pilots" when so many others with real world experience are going unhired.

What I am not talking about are Cape Air, regional pilots, military, freight dogs, corporate, furloughed, etc., all of whom can operate on a much higher level on day one than any memorized-SOP newbie following a very narrow, prescribed work flow and with an inch-deep experience base. It's not just real world weather, it's facing decisions and bringing more to the table as a resource for the captain than the exact wording of page 319 of the FOM. A good FO is not just a ride-along seat-warmer who can read a checklist, he should be someone who can take command at a moment's notice with the safety of the operation never in doubt.

There is a deep pool of pilot experience in the U.S. and despite the decades-long alarm at the impending "pilot shortage", that pool isn't draining - for major carriers - anytime soon. This is not Republic or Mesa - this is the fifth largest major carrier in the United States, with more than 200 large jet aircraft and 3100 pilots. Let the Gateway 7 "pilots" get some experience at Republic or Mesa for a while first, and then think about applying here.

Last edited:
I guess I can see both sides of the issue. I agree there are plenty of experienced people around...or experienced enough.

Then why would JB go to all the trouble of setting up this Gateway 7 program ? Seems like a lot of trouble...

Because newbie pilots who have no experience other than JetBlue SOP are not going anywhere else and will be far less likely to push back against sub-standard pay and working conditions. Zero to hero in just a few years - think they're going to hold out for major airline treatment? They *want* compliant seat warmers. Pilots with experience have been there, done that with pilot pushing and typical management behavior. Newbies will have been carefully selected (and not necessarily for aptitude but for attitude), experienced a carefully structured, hermetic training program, spent a lot of time and money, and eventually placed in the right seat of an airliner. And then abused mercilessly, all the time being told it was necessary to "help out the operation" and aren't they the team players they were hired to be?

Last edited:
It's not about "job abuse."

The critical issue at hand is safety.

I submit that ab initio pilots are less capable of making judgement calls, as they lack the breadth of experience necessary to do so.

The military trains aviators from square one and places them in positions where they will receive a great deal of oversight from day one, whether as a wingman or a copilot. While they are expected to perform, they have not attained the same level of safety that we expect from a pilot within a 121 operation.

Cape Air, the carrier frequently kicked around in this discussion, is a source of outstanding aviators. They are not the issue.

Discussing this topic in terms of "compliance" and "push-back" may be accurate, but making that argument dilutes the ONLY rational reason why this practice is not acceptable to the American public.

I don't disagree. The latest question asked was why the *company* wants it, not why the pilots oppose it. I've already laid out why switch monkey FO's aren't the best idea ever from a safety standpoint.

Gateway 7 is intended to hire non-pilots and train them in light aircraft and simulators for a multi-crew environment...

Is it not fair to say that we were all at one point "non-pilots" who needed such training? That being said, if the union is opposed to it, that's their prerogative, they don't need a good reason...

Latest resources

Back